Is 30 MOA to much for this setup?

Speedygoss

Remington 700 Sendero .338 RUM with a Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24x50

I am going to go with the Seekins Base and Rings.

Couple questions before I place the order.

1.) I want to stretch this set up out as far as possible. Doing the math with a 200 yard zero it looks like at 2000 yards I will drop about 95 MOA. the scope has 65 MOA total travel. I'm thinking a 30 MOA rail would be the best option. does this sound correct?

2.) The bases come in #6 and #8 screws. I believe for a factory 700 action a #6 is required but wanted to be sure.

Thanks,
Speedy.

Am I thinking correct in that with 65 MOA total elevation travel a 30 MOA base will give me 62.5 MOA usable adjustment.

Thanks,

You are correct in your thinking. If the Scope has 65 total moa and you should have 32.5 up with a zero rail. This is of course in a perfect world. So with a 30 moa rail you would get 62.5 moa up.

If you really want to stretch it out go with a SFP scope. Then you can dial back to 12X and your reticle will be X2 the hold over it has on 24X. That should get you to 2 K + with your set up.

And yes to the #6 screws being standard.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

I just wanted to be 100% sure I would be ok with the 30 MOA base. Id hate to get it on and find out I couldn't zero @ 200 because it was pitched to much.

Speedy.

Thanks Jeff.

I just wanted to be 100% sure I would be ok with the 30 MOA base. Id hate to get it on and find out I couldn't zero @ 200 because it was pitched to much.

Speedy.

Well, you will be running very close. But like I said, in a perfect world it will work. If the top of the action is not to spec, and they do vary, it could toss you off a little. Or if the scope only has 62 moa and was advertised at 65. Or if you use an EGW base and it is off and really a 35 or 40 moa instead of 30. This I have seen a lot. If you want security buy a Nightforce rail, but I am not sure they come in 30's. But Near Mfg. makes one and it will be spot on, but cost is $175

Jeff

I've got a 308 with a 40 MOA base. Zero'd at 380 yards. 7.6 inches high at 100, 11 inches high at 200 and 7.6 high at 300 again. I have all 52 MOA adjustment in my scope elevation. Run out of elevation adjustment at 1211 yards.

Just wondering why some guys want a "specific yardage" for zero? It's stuck in my head 7.6,11,7.6 then 380 for zero. If I need to I just hold off at anything between me and 380...

Just wondering why some guys want a "specific yardage" for zero? .

I have set up rifles all the way out to 600 for zero's. This was to get all the distance we could from the internal elevation of the scope. It just depends on what your are doing with it. I assume you use hold over more than you dial. For us that dial for a long range shot it is easier to define a perfect zero with a smaller group size. So 100 and 200 are what I use most. If you are off 1 moa on your zero that will be 10 1/2" off at 1000 yards. 21" at 2000 yards. Plus I like to check my zero often. It is easier to do at 100 or 200 and the wind will effect your zero much less as well.

Jeff

Understand. But I when I shoot at 200 yards with that 308 I'll put a 2" sticker bullseye at 11" above my point of aim. My group is right there. I went with a 40 MOA base because I had 35 MOA of wasted scope elevation on the prior 0 MOA base on that rifle.

Well, you will be running very close. But like I said, in a perfect world it will work. If the top of the action is not to spec, and they do vary, it could toss you off a little. Or if the scope only has 62 moa and was advertised at 65. Or if you use an EGW base and it is off and really a 35 or 40 moa instead of 30. This I have seen a lot. If you want security buy a Nightforce rail, but I am not sure they come in 30's. But Near Mfg. makes one and it will be spot on, but cost is $175

Jeff

Fingers crossed then. I placed the order with Seekins. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thank you so much for your input.

Speedy.

But I when I shoot at 200 yards with that 308 I'll put a 2" sticker bullseye at 11" above my point of aim. My group is right there.

Well that could be the 1 moa I was referring to.

Some people would shoot over a lot of game in the heat of the moment with a rifle that shoots 11" high. But if it works for you that's fine. Just would not be my choice.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

Speedy.

Your plan leaves very little tolerance for error. In addition to the variables Jeff mentioned, there is bore alignment to the receiver and barrel vibration, both of which can move the point of impact several MOA. If the boresight error is to the left or right, dialing windage to correct it may cause you to loose vertical adjustment range. I like to allow +/-5 MOA for boresight errors, whatever the source.

Zeroing at 200 yds gives you only about 4.3 MOA of grace. If that is not enough to compensate for boresight errors, you may have to hold-off on your reticle to either zero or aim at very long distance, as Jeff suggested. Neither one is a deal breaker, in my opinion.

Other alternatives are to change to a different base (20 or 40 MOA) or shim the base you have and re-bed it (I'm assuming you bed it the first time).

I recommend that you mechanically zero the scope reticle before you zero to determine if there is a large boresight error. That will help you to understand any problems you find later. If there is no boresight error, you will only have to dial 4.3 MOA bullet up to zero.

Good luck.

Fingers crossed then. I placed the order with Seekins. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thank you so much for your input.

Speedy.

Quick update.

The 30 MOA rail zeroed at 200 yds leaving 13 MOA left untill bottomed out. It has 56 MOA up travel. this particular scope has a total of 69 actual MOA travel VS the advertised 65 and killed its first Coues deer in Dec. @ a dialed 450 yds. one shot drop.

Thank you for all your help.
Speedy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts