is 264 Win Mag enough for Oryx

Jinx

I am going on a Spring-buck and Oryx hunt in June this year and I am wondering if my 264 Win Mag will be enough for Oryx. I shoot 140 gr Rhino's which is almost a solid. Its the best bullets which I can find in South Africa.

home page

I know shot placement will be crucial and neck shots should not be attempted. The shooting distances will be between 200 and 400 m.

Any comments welcome.

I think the 6.5 mm cals are very good. The .264 WM that you are shooting pack quite a punch. I think you are on the right track, bullet choice is most important. I am not familiar with the bullets you are looking to use. They look to be a quality hunting bullet designed to hunt the game you are going after. Being from SA, you might look into the GS Custom bullets that are also made in SA. I have been using them for several years now and feel that they are very good.

Steve

I think the 6.5 mm cals are very good. The .264 WM that you are shooting pack quite a punch. I think you are on the right track, bullet choice is most important. I am not familiar with the bullets you are looking to use. They look to be a quality hunting bullet designed to hunt the game you are going after. Being from SA, you might look into the GS Custom bullets that are also made in SA. I have been using them for several years now and feel that they are very good.

Steve

+1. You might also want to consider the 140gr Berger hunting VLDs ...

Checkout this 925 yard bull elk shot with 6.5 x 284 ...

YouTube - Jeremy 925 yard elk!

Good luck!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.