Ironic loads

Round2it

Hi eveyone,
I'm new to the forum and have only read a few posts. Therefore, I'd like to share what I think is a Strang mix of loads that my .243 win. really likes. First off, let me introduce you to "Shorts". Yes, thats what I call it. A Ruger Hawkeye tactical with a 20" barrel, 1 in 9 twist, Hogue stock, from the factory, Harris bipod and a Leupold Mark AR 6-18 mil dot. Now that you're all acquainted, the "ironc loads". Shorts really likes 62gr. Varmint Grnades over 42gr. of Varget, win cases with win primers, jumping .064". This load shots less than 1/2 moa @ 100yrds. and consistently under 1/2 moa at 290yrds. The other load it really likes is 105gr. Amax's seated.004" off the lands over 42gr. of IMR 4350 same cases & primers. Almost identical groups at 100 & 290yrds. The 105's are averaging 2893 fps. with 3 moa up from 100 to 290 yrds. I'll be shooting 610 yrds. as soon as the corn comes down.
See what I mean about ironic?

I know it sounds a little on the high side, so I will check it again this weekend. It was partly overcast when I ran them through the crono and I was wondering if I would get different readings on a sunny day. I also need to crono the 62gr VG while I'm at it.
Would the drop from 100 to 290 yrds. be sufficient to calculate to 600 and beyond? For the 105's of coarse. If so, what's the best method?

The drops from 100 to 290 is a good start. JBM has a free online calculator. If you put in all your info it will calculate well beyond that but you will want to put it on paper at distance to verify it. Are you experienced at long range or new to it?

I'm new to long range shooting/hunting but have been plinking since my early youth. I'm quickly realizing that there are some bad habits that have been allowed to creep into my shooting that are affecting my ability to be consistent. The one I'm working on right now is holding/shouldering properly. I trend to hold it loosely on my shoulder instead of more firmly. My POI varies greatly when I hold it loosely. Its always low and spread out and sometimes painful, as when I shot an older Remington 7400, 30-06 with a steel butplate.
Correction; I'm using Remington brass not Winchester.

They're the ones I use at the USPSA matches at our local club here. Sometimes I'll use plugs but only when my muffs are somewhere other than with me. I do agree that its a very overlooked part of ones technique.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.