IR laser and blooming problem

lisagrantb

I just purchased a lasermax uni ir laser and it bloomers too much for me, how can I solve the problem or tone it down some. I hunt inside 200 yards and this laser drowns out the target. I installed a 720 nm ir filter but that did nothing, probably because the laser is 800 something nm. My pvs14 has a .92 for the halo so it's not to bad. Maybe .7 mw is too much for the distance I working with.

i have an ir filter and it works great with the ir lasermax. i'll see if i can find which one it is.

i also noticed using a strong ir light washes out some aiming devices i've used that had nv compatible reticles but were still too bright for my liking. might do the same for the ir laser.

I just purchased a lasermax uni ir laser and it bloomers too much for me, how can I solve the problem or tone it down some. I hunt inside 200 yards and this laser drowns out the target. I installed a 720 nm ir filter but that did nothing, probably because the laser is 800 something nm. My pvs14 has a .92 for the halo so it's not to bad. Maybe .7 mw is too much for the distance I working with.

The 720 nm filter would be like using chicken wire to stop flies. The smaller wavelength IR light passes right through the larger wavelength filter.

It does sound like far too much power for the distance you are shooting. That is a real problem with lasers that are not variable power when using NV.

However, when hitting animal fur, you will get blooming regardless of the power. The laser hits the follicles, is refracted and lots of directions, scintilates, and that is what you see. Basically the beam is dispersed by the hair over a much wider areas than the beam actually hits, hence the bloom. So a 1" beam on target can result in a 5" or 6" bloom in the hair of the target.

I am not sure what a good suggestion would be other than to pick a better laser with variable power settings or get a much less capable NV devise. If you are using this as an aiming laser and try to put a filter on it, note that the filter may slightly refract the light and cause it to point in a slightly different position, negating your zero.

mine says 720 on the lens. i just used it once and it seemed fine on rabbits at close range. screws onto the obj lens of the pvs-14. info sheet says they make them in 680,720,760, 850 and 950. sold by zomei bingo. good luck!

From what I see on this site, the Bloomin problem is that ya'll depend way too much on technology!

Go back to iron sights, for under 300 yards and the problem goes away!

Packrat

Packrat 2.gif

Interesting. Given that a 720 nm filter will only filter light waves 720 nm and larger, then the bloom coming back that is reduced is going to be 720 nm or larger as well. So the fur is changing the light. Cool.

if i understand you correctly, having the filter on the pvs is what makes it work. any bloom larger than 720 is not entering the nv device. i think that's called an optical diffusion.

on another note... would you mind shooting packratt in the nutz

There you go again, djones, having to call in someone else to do the job for you....hmmmmmm .........On that note, has your wife been requesting you stay out and hunt all night? ................Have you noticed the sheets already mussed when you crawl into bed?..........Strange truck tire marks in the driveway?............Calls from farmers a long way away from home to hunt their property?..........BIG smile on your wife's face lately?

Probably just coincidence...............:D

Packrat

if i understand you correctly, having the filter on the pvs is what makes it work. any bloom larger than 720 is not entering the nv device. i think that's called an optical diffusion.

No, you understood me wrong and I had it backwards. ERRRR. I gotta get more sleep. YOU are correct in that the 720 won't allow anything larger (higher number). Hence the reduction in bloom.

With that said, it is interesting that a 720nm filter is being used as that is a non-infrared wavelength. It is in the visible spectrum, infrared starting around 800nm. So the IR laser IR laser is probably 820, or 850 nm, but will emit some visible wavelength light, but not a lot. Some of that is getting reflected back at 720 nm or less.

ok, give me one more chance to put this into my own words for easy understanding...

pakkratt is a bloomin idiot, and he is in full bloom. did i miss anything?

Well thanks for all the blooming answers. I really wasn't expecting to get much out of the filter but since I already had it I tried it anyway. Will any laser regardless of cost look the same through nv if they have equal power output.

on second thought, maybe i'm the idiot. i got 2 lasermax lasers, one ir and the other was just a regular red daylight laser. they were mostly used for saving my point of aim when i switched scopes. it's been so long since i've used them, i can no longer say for sure which one worked well with the filter; maybe both??

i have a fairly high powered green laser that covers a small area at 100 yards that i've used on a rifle. if i recall, seems like getting a 1 or 2 moa laser is much more expensive than lasermaxs.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.