iPad plus OnX perfect !

As I've already stated I do use onx. Personally I think we'd or maybe I should say I think I'd be better off if they didn't ever exist. And maybe I'm just being selfish. I've hunted the same area since 1964. It's an area that is easy to get turned around in. Over the years I've assisted a few people get out of it and back to their camp. I spent years just learning the area, how the drainages ran, Land marks and etc. Did not see many other hunters. Now that gps is in most of our pockets there are all kinds of people in the area. And they usually find their way around and get back to their camp. So it's my feeling that the GPS has made people braver and gave them the ability to accomplish what took me years to learn by just looking at a screen. Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure not condemning anyone for using the technology. Hunt safe everyone, shoot straight and have fun.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I concur

I have been running GARMIN 66I with Inreach strapped to my bag and using the app on my phone to interface with the 66i since my phones screen is much larger. The 66i controls can be clunky to relearn you haven't been using the device for a while.

I am all for the use of GPS. The funny thing is if I have been there once or twice I can find my way back there and vice versus - unless its DARK. The inreach is handy for when you roll an ankle solo or god forbid worse... Texting the wife at camp to let her know you are good to go is nice as well.

Other than the above listed, I try not to dwell on it too much because otherwise, i might be pulling a Gandolf - "I have no memory of this place.." ;)

Last thing I want be doing is being glued to my phone vice watching for deer or animals that may want me for dinner.

I mark my starting waypoint and use the backtrack feature when it is time to get back to camp.

Tried to scroll through the whole thread so if this was answered just kick me in the right direction. Is the IPad /ONX combo finding your location from GPS or Cell signal or both? I often hunt where there is no cell service so will ONX on Ipad still give me accurate location? Maybe the Ipad has an internal GPS. School me! Thanks, MT

Is the IPad /ONX combo finding your location from GPS or Cell signal or both? I often hunt where there is no cell service so will ONX on Ipad still give me accurate location?
Smart phones have an internal GPS receiver and SOME iPad/tablets have them. So when you use navigation apps like OnX, GaiaGPS, BaseMap, etc. the device is able to find your location without using cellular.
Caution 1: The navigation apps must have maps so you can see the terrain around you. If you will be off cellular, you must download maps to your device for the relevant area in advance of your trip. This is done from inside whatever navigation app you're using.
Caution 2: Not all iPads come with GPS receivers. I believe it is only those iPads that possess a cellular receiver also have a GPS receiver, but you'd need to check model details. iPads that only operate on wireless networks commonly do not have a GPS receiver.

Tried to scroll through the whole thread so if this was answered just kick me in the right direction. Is the IPad /ONX combo finding your location from GPS or Cell signal or both? I often hunt where there is no cell service so will ONX on Ipad still give me accurate location? Maybe the Ipad has an internal GPS. School me! Thanks, MT
I think it's still important to be able to navigate with a map. I've been in some dense forests or canyons where GPS couldn't get a signal. I think those mapping apps are useful. But I've seen how fragile the Ipads and tablets can be. Same goes for cell phones so I don't trust them for hunting. Things can get banged around when out in the field. At least for me.

Otter box or something similar,Ive rescued mine from bottom of lake,twice.Mine also survived 24' fall from ridge while framing.

Jebel and 10's, thanks for the info. I do always have the map and compass and do fairly well with the GPS. Just wish when scouting I had a screen as nice as my 10 inch Garmin fish finder for finding waterholes and boundaries. (maybe one that showed where the 28in mulies are). MT

The Onx has mutiple map layers,great view on my XR.Topo like gps,but google earth type and others.

I love OnX and would not hunt out West without it. The Sat view is a game changer especially if you are in a new area. Last year I sent a screen shot to my buddy of where a turkey was headed. He high tailed it there and 5 minutes later he had a bird on the ground. I do carry a GPS in my pack as a backup.