iPad plus OnX perfect !

I argue with my GPS regularly. My direction sense is much better. If I have been to a place, even in childhood, I can find my way back. Guessing there was at least one pigeon in my ancestry.
Ranging, blessed with eyes that still work okay. But I do use my scope for verification.

But, (there's that word), if I am in an area with a lot of ferrous metal, my sense of direction and location is gone. I can track well, but a GPS does come in handy.

Have fun, be safe.
GPS will mostly help if you don't have an idea of where you are going but have two common flaws..first they can go shortest straight line ( if you have wings or an airplane it works) second...if not constantly updated....the roads or paths may no longer exist....cities they are mostly great.... country...some times not so much! GPS I find are now like our cell phone directories....the more you use them the less you remember!

I'm with MNOLAND30,
I mostly use a GPS to get back to camp in the dark, and mark my hot spots.

I like wondering around the mountain looking for animal sign and promising terrain. Sometimes, I stay too late in the thick timber until I can't see 5 feet in front of me. I pull out the GPS to find my way back to camp or my truck/horse. I've also used the GPS to find the shortest way back to my truck, etc. after locating a downed animal rather than just back tracking my wandering track. If I'm lucky to be on a horse, I just give it its head and hang on, magically it takes me back to camp.

For the most part I have a pretty good since of direction. Didn't say or want anyone to think that I'm perfect. But as mentioned in some weather conditions they can sure be helpful. Couple things that we use it for - 1. The contour lines can sure be helpful at times, you know where you are and where you want to go and at times it can save you a lot of climbing. Also at times when we have an animal down and are going to be in for a pack, studying your options can be beneficial. 2. At times we are going into country that we aren't real familiar with and we are going to split up, we can pick a spot to meet up. Are they perfect, probably not but sure feel they help at times.?

Time to learn:

LAFFIN !

Time to learn:

LAFFIN !
I'd suspect the Garmin is tougher. Though the mini might be tough enough. Replaceable batteries make the Garmin more desirable to me.

But if a person wants to carry an ipad around by all means do so. In most cases it would be safer than going out in the wild without one like me.

Why safer? Do they shoot when threatened?
Happy Toddlers And Tiaras GIF

Time to learn:

LAFFIN !
He said iPad, not iPad Mini. Big difference in carrying size and weight.