Iowa hunters are now allowed to use necked rifle cartridges (with some caliber restrictions)

Peter Martin

I was just reading on another forum and saw that the Iowa Department of Natural Resources has confirmed that Iowa hunters can use necked cartridges now as long as they're 35 to 50 cal. This was formerly shotgun season and then they added straight walled cartridges and now some necked cartridges are legal.

Talk about a step in the stupid direction. I know y'all wanted bottleneck cases and you should want them but what they've opened up by keeping that idiotic caliber restriction is .50BMG deer hunting and .375CheyTac deer hunting and not a lot more. Think about it. They've basically listened to the "we want bottlenecks" brigade and completely lost the thread that the masses want bottlenecks so they can use much smaller bullets going dramatically faster.

Instead of enabling the use of the classic .270win or .30-06 or .243win or, hell, even a .338WinMag the result is to enable the use of darned near anti-aircraft guns. What's the smallest modern bottleneck .35cal? How about as you climb up to .37cal or .40cal or .50cal? As you climb up the caliber ladder a little you do find some gems like .458Socom but that's kind of just out there on its own. The only other 35cal loadings (or 40 cal or 375 cal or almost anything in this caliber range) are either monstrous anti-materiel level beasts or are extremely archaic like the .348win and it gets worse as the caliber increases. The only thing that's remotely appropriate that I think you could still find retail ammo for would be the .358win. Incremental gains are sometimes just stupid in the extreme when looked at rationally. Thankfully this will likely result in all bottlenecks being allowed soon and perhaps they'll say no .50BMG for deer in Iowa and fix their earlier <cuss word> up.

Talk about a step in the stupid direction. I know y'all wanted bottleneck cases and you should want them but what they've opened up by keeping that idiotic caliber restriction is .50BMG deer hunting and .375CheyTac deer hunting and not a lot more. Think about it. They've basically listened to the "we want bottlenecks" brigade and completely lost the thread that the masses want bottlenecks so they can use much smaller bullets going dramatically faster.

Instead of enabling the use of the classic .270win or .30-06 or .243win or, hell, even a .338WinMag the result is to enable the use of darned near anti-aircraft guns. What's the smallest modern bottleneck .35cal? How about as you climb up to .37cal or .40cal or .50cal? As you climb up the caliber ladder a little you do find some gems like .458Socom but that's kind of just out there on its own. The only other 35cal loadings (or 40 cal or 375 cal or almost anything in this caliber range) are either monstrous anti-materiel level beasts or are extremely archaic like the .348win and it gets worse as the caliber increases. The only thing that's remotely appropriate that I think you could still find retail ammo for would be the .358win. Incremental gains are sometimes just stupid in the extreme when looked at rationally. Thankfully this will likely result in all bottlenecks being allowed soon and perhaps they'll say no .50BMG for deer in Iowa and fix their earlier <cuss word> up.

It is totally asinine that you can hunt deer with a BMG but not a 243! Better than shotgun only, and hopefully just temporary.

It's a classic example of "know it all" politicians/lobbyists.

I don't see any need for restrictions if hunters would actually be good hunters/shooters. A bigger bullet does not kill deer any better than a smaller bullet if it's a bad shot. Just call it centerfire and go.

I kind of oppose all these new so called Smokeless Breach - Muzzle Loaders because they are not TRUE primitive weapons'. Really not much difference from a modern cartridge for use in a Primitive Weapon Season.
I now see the point where hunters are using these new ML in states like mentioned. Hunters don't really have an option to hunt deer with these stupid restrictions on Rifles & Cartridges. If they only let you shoot straight wall cartridges and shotguns. Muzzle loaders with new loading systems and smokeless powder does give you at least some advantage hunting in States with stupid regs. Have no idea what the object is not letting a hunter shoot a "necked" case. If it is for the power of the bullets they are going the wrong direction. A necked 50BMG is legal, but not a necked 243 Winchester. The 50BMG was original made for anti tank, anti vehicle round. Also take a new design ML with 120 gr Smokeless powder and 300gr .45 bullet. A hell of a lot more power than a 243.

Up here there was an area that was shotgun only, but people used riflea anyway and kept griping to the dnr. They finally made it all rifle after enough people griped, eapecially the locals.

I agree about going backwards.