Iosso review with videos

ndking1126

Hello all, after having some accuracy and clambering issues, I bought a borescope and it's been quite the learning experience.

Recently my dad brought me his old 30-06 saying he cleaned it really well, but was having some accuracy issues still. I cleaned it with Iosso and here are the before and after videos. The results speak for themselves!

And

He won't be able to shoot it for a little while so i don't know if his accuracy is any better.

Last edited:
The half of the barrel near the throat was horrible with a lot more than copper. All sorts of carbon and such. I told him the same though. Id hears it's a "last resort and only when absolutely nothing else is working" solution.

Last edited:
I use JB Bore Paste after every F-class match, not sure if it has a similar abrasive, but I'm not concerned using it after 200 rounds or so.
I've never seen Iosso here for sale.
Your results mirror mine, albeit my barrels are smoother.

Cheers.

So how bad was the erosion ahead of the throat after you stripped the copper?
If badly firecracked, stripping copper likely wouldn't have an impact-tomato stake time.
I'm no gunsmith and borescoping is still fairly new to me, but the firecracking was no where as bad as I was expecting. The orignal owner owned it about 3 years and had no issue admitting he liked to load his ammo hot, but since then my dad has used Remington the most by far. My experience is their rounds are usually much slower than advertised. If that means they load them a little on the lite side, that might help explain the lack of firecracking.

Hello all, after having some accuracy and clambering issues, I bought a borescope and it's been quite the learning experience.

Recently my dad brought me his old 30-06 saying he cleaned it really well, but was having some accuracy issues still. I cleaned it with Iosso and here are the before and after videos. The results speak for themselves!

And

He won't be able to shoot it for a little while so i don't know if his accuracy is any better.

I'm a big fan of IOSSO. Been using it 28 years.

Have used Iosso for a while, as a follow-up on tough spots and for carbon ring.
Recently tried Thorro clean products, and OMG.. Amazing results with minimal effort. took out carbon and copper with 2 wet patches and 15 brush strokes. Followed up with the Iosso, and the bore was as clean as it has ever been. Possible downside: Normally it takes 1-2 shots with this barrel to get back to zero. After the above it took 7 shots to reestablish zero. Will track a and see how it all works out..

Thanks for posting, I've never heard of that. The 7 shots is pretty interesting! Barrel must be pretty clean!

I remember reading about cleaners before trying Iosso and it was a lot of people offering "I've always cleaned with xx and it cleans really well." But how do you know? My dad would have said the same thing about his cleaning process, and he was wrong. I found myself wishing I had something alittle more concrete than "I've always used it", so I figured maybe someone else was in the same boat and a video might be helpful. Of course with how cheap borescopes are now, I bet alot of people are just buying one and checking their own barrels.

Update if anyone cares.. he took it out two times shooting a total of five 3-shot groups (so a total of 15 rounds) and they were all over the place still. Accepting the barrel may be shot out, he decided he'd at least have a little fun with it.

My cousin joined us for Thanksgiving, so we took him out and let him shoot first without telling him about its problems. Predictably, it had about a 4.5" group at 100 yards and we were giving him a hard time about it since he's a lifelong hunter and joining the Army.

I shot a 3 shot group next and was about 3.5". My dad shot his 3 shot group last and it came down to 2.5".. hmm this is an interesting development!

This morning he went back out and shot a 1.5" group and then a group with 3 shots all but touching. Prior to all this it would shoot about an 1.25" with the same ammo, so we might be back in business!

He's going to take it out soon to confirm results, but it looks like it needed about 20 shots to foul the barrel. I wouldn't have guessed that many shots, but it was bare metal after the cleaning.

Last edited:
The quality, and condition of a barrel are very important as to how it reacts to cleaning, shooting, etc.
If you clean a rough barrel to bare metal, it will most likely exhibit the issues you experienced (likewise a "shot out" barrel). allowing copper to smooth the bore is not a bad thing for many barrels. However, if you are wanting to shoot consistent 1/2 MOA or better, you will need to have a good barrel, and maintain it properly, then you only have all the other variables to deal with..
Glad you got it shooting again.