IOR vs. Zeiss Conquest

victor

Hi All,

Looking for someone who has looked thru both of these scopes. I am thinking of having a new rifle built. The question is which scope to put on it. This would be used for Precision Long Range shooting, ofcourse. Hiking up mountains after Elk and Deer and shooting 800 yards across canyons is the main purpose of this new rig, so weight is a prime consideration.

I looked at the IOR 3 - 18x 42mm Tactical scope and this power range really appeals to me. I have heard so many good things about the clarity of the scopes on this board that it has peaked my interest.
Link to IOR: http://www.swfa.com/showcategory.aspx?categoryid=292&sb=Name&so=asc&page=2
Cost of this scope is $1,259.95 at SWFA. The weight does not seem too bad for an IOR, 22 oz. and length of 13.5" seems rather short.

The other scope I am considering is a Zeiss conquest 6.5 - 20X 50mm. Cost $899.00, weight = 21 oz., length = 15.6 oz.

I do own a Zeiss Conquest in 3-9X 40mm and 4.5-14x 44mm (w/turret knobs). Both Conquest scopes are excellent in my opinion. I'm just curious about the IOR's clarity.

And as a secondary question: What do you guys think about Leupolds Quick Change rings. If I spent this much on one scope, I surely can't afford to have one on every rifle. Can anybody vouch for the stability of the Quick change rings and bases of the Leupold system. I have never had the opportunity to inspect them personally and would welcome comments.

Thanks guys,
Vic

by victor
And as a secondary question: What do you guys think about Leupolds Quick Change rings. If I spent this much on one scope, I surely can't afford to have one on every rifle. Can anybody vouch for the stability of the Quick change rings and bases of the Leupold system. I have never had the opportunity to inspect them personally and would welcome comments.
I would recomend a picateny rail made by Near, Badger, Nightforce, or Seekins as well as rings by the same makers along with the 60 inch pounds T torque wrench.....
The rings and base's by Glenn Seekins are very nice and at a great price.....
I have no experience with the IOR's so I can't comment on the comparison.......

Victor,

I replaced my 4.5-14x Conquest with simliar IOR. I am so happy I made that switch. Nothing against Zeiss because I loved their scope. I like my IOR better though.

Victor, email Don at Long Range Supply and save yourself some bucks.

They don't list the one your looking for but I'm sure they can get it. Compare different models and you'll see the price difference.

Never looked through one.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

SrHaggerty, you know you are making me reach really deep into my pocket for that IOR scope. I sure hope they don't come out with anything new at least for another year. That way I could be happy for a while knowing that I have one of the best optics out there. I sure do like the 3 to 18x range of that scope and not too big of an objective to ruin the visual balance between rifle and scope.

This shooting/hunting hobby certainly is making me act in an irrational manner. I'm all set with deer and elk rifles and am about to go and devirginize my new rifle on a deer hunt and what am I doing? I'm planning on building another rifle and picking out scopes before spilling blood with the current guns.

Anybody know of a good birdwatching website or some other hobby that's not as expensive..........

Take care,
Vic

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.