IOR vs. Leupold vs. Nikon

Boman

Gentlemen,
I'm pretty new to this site and relatively new to Long range shooting/hunting. up to this point most of my hunting and shooting has been done under 600yds. I'm trying to set up a Browning A Bolt in .300 RUM I have to reach out to 1000-1200yds. My question is of the scopes I've listed which one would you go with. I'm looking to spend less than a thousand for the scope. The scopes I've been looking at so far are:
IOR 4.5-14x50 with MP8 reticle (29oz)
Leupold 4.5-14x50 with mil or duplex reticle (22oz)
Nikon 4-16x50 with mil dot reticle. (24.3oz)

So far I like the reticle of the IOR best. I have't been able to look through that exact Leupold but I have looked through their tacticals. I have not looked through a Nikon tactical at all. The weight of the rifle is pretty light and these scope are somewhat heavy. I'll be mounting with Badger rings and an IOR base. What are the Pros and Cons of each of these scopes. Thanks everyone

i do not have an ior i do have the leupold and nikon tac.i also own swaro and to be honest to me the nikon has the best glass and you can really tell late.the leupold is proven but mine is not as clear as the nikon edge to edge theres a big differance.ive heard nothing but good from the ior.but the nikon so far gets my nod.

When I was in the market for my new scope I had the same three brands. Being a leupold fan I was biased but the nikon optics were clearer and brighter. I thought the IOR was the best and am glad I went that route. I had heard bad and good about the IOR warranty issues so bought it anyway. I guess I'll find out if the time comes.

If you want the IOR, then join Int BR Shooters (IBS)for $40 includes subscription to Precision Shooting Magazine ($36). go to BRcentral for link to IBS.

Chris Gilchrest at [email protected] is giving huge discount to IBS members. I am ordering the 16X w/MP8 for $760 as compared to $899 from SWFA.

If you are Hunter Ed instructor or LE in your state you can buy Leupolds direct for below distributor pricing. (ie 8-25X LR for $575.12 last yrs price.)

BH

If your interested in the LEUPOLD 4.5-14X50 LR M1 MIL or the NIKON TAC SCOPE 4-16X50 MILDOT I can get you eithier one for 780.00 plus shipping, tax if in Michigan.

Indyultra,
Thats a **** good price. alot better than SWFA. I am going to try to get a look through both of them first before I decide but I'll keep you in mind if I go with the Leupie. Thanks for letting me know.

IndyUltra,
Let me double check something. On that Leupold. You are talking about the 4.5-14x50 LR M1 right? The Tactical scope.. If so how much can you do the same scope Illumintated? Thanks

I'll tell you I got to look through a 4.5-14x50 VX3 Long range (30mm tube). And I'll tell you I was impressed. For me eyes it was significantly better/crisper than the 1" version I've seen.

Boman, sorry to jump this thread, can you give a price on a 8.5-25x50 ill and a 6.5-20x50 ill, please, posted to the UK.

Floyd, No problem. Are you wanting the store price or a price quote. If you want a price quote send a message to member Bill Bailey. He has very good prices.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts