Introduction

ular270

Hello, I'm ular270 and I'm new to this forum. I'm a shooter and a hunter and I shoot a variety of rifle cartridges. My favorite is my old standby, 270 Winchester in a 1966 model 70 Winchester. I know, it's not a pre-64, but I bought it new at the ripe old age of 18 back in 1966 in August of that year, in the summer between my Jr, and Sr. year in High School. I had no clue about the differences between a pre-64 Control Round Feed Model 70, Mauser clone and a post 63 push feed. Later when somebody showed me a pre-64 and we compared mine with it I was kinda sick. But I somehow resisted putting it out for the trash men and kept it. It went on over the last 49 years to kill about 72 deer at last count, not all by me, but I killed over 40 with it. The rifle's accurate and it fits me like a glove. The action is rattly and not near as smooth as some of my other rifles, but it kills deer and hogs with boring regularity, so its lackings are far outweighed by its attributes. One of its attributes is the cartridge it's chambered in. There's a dozen others about as good, and the old argument about there's not enough different bullets for it, doesn't hold water for me. True, for long range work it could use some higher BC bullets, but for what I use it for, the 130s and an occasional 150 work great. I have a 7 Remington Mag, and a long barreled .280 Remington if I need to shoot farther with heavier longer bullets. And if those won't do it, I'll break out my .300 WBY Mag.

I hunt a long sendero where I have the possibility of some 700 yard shots. I haven't taken any yet, but if a shot presents itself and I have the right rifle I would feel pretty confident in taking it. The only problem with all this is I haven't had a shot that long. Most animals cross around between 200-300 yards up from my blind. Though I haven't done a lot of long range shooting or hunting, I love to read about other's experiences. So I'm all ears.

Thanks ntg, that's right, a .270 is a great old classic. Ill be the first to say that there are newer rounds that are better than the .270 especially for long range work, but we need to remember that when the .270 first came out, it was considered a long range round. But we've come a long way with Technology and the .270 has been a bit overlooked with respect to bullets and barrel rifling twists. I think some people think the .270 is somehow inherently unfit for long range work. But if you give me a high BC Bullet of at least 160 grains and some barrels with tighter twist than the old 1:10 like maybe a 1:85 or mabe 1:8 I think it would be more than capable of competing with the relative 6.5s and 7s. It's right in the middle. All that's needed is for the bullet and barrel makers to open the gates.

Thanks ntg, that's right, a .270 is a great old classic. Ill be the first to say that there are newer rounds that are better than the .270 especially for long range work, but we need to remember that when the .270 first came out, it was considered a long range round. But we've come a long way with Technology and the .270 has been a bit overlooked with respect to bullets and barrel rifling twists. I think some people think the .270 is somehow inherently unfit for long range work. But if you give me a high BC Bullet of at least 160 grains and some barrels with tighter twist than the old 1:10 like maybe a 1:85 or mabe 1:8 I think it would be more than capable of competing with the relative 6.5s and 7s. It's right in the middle. All that's needed is for the bullet and barrel makers to open the gates.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

You're right, not as plentiful but there are high BC .277 bullets out there; 150 Nosler LRABs, Matrix 165/175 VLDs, and whenever Berger get their 170 VLD out, etc ...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/ primarily propels the Matrix 165/175 VLDs. It has a 30" Lilja barrel 1:8" 3-groove #6 contour (.750" at the muzzle). My current accuracy load for the 175 is chronoed at 2993 FPS.

Cheers!

Ed

Man that is honkin on there at 2993 or rather for all practical purposes 3000 FPS with a 175 grain bullets. This is what I've been waiting for so I can tell the naysayers that the .270 Winchester can compete with about any standard 7mm or even the 6.5s. How accurate is it?

Man that is honkin on there at 2993 or rather for all practical purposes 3000 FPS with a 175 grain bullets. This is what I've been waiting for so I can tell the naysayers that the .270 Winchester can compete with about any standard 7mm or even the 6.5s. How accurate is it?

I've shot at rocks 650 yards out and they're ~1/2 to 3/4 MOA if I do my part. Here's my last year's cold bore shot at 200 yards before calling it good for the hunting season and a heart shot at a muley buck at 311 yards.

Attachments

• 200 yards cold bore shot.jpg
    200 yards cold bore shot.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 1103140938a.jpg
    1103140938a.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 62
Welcome to the forum! We are about the same age and my first rifle back then was also a post 64 670 Winchester with a crummy birch stock and sandblasted finish in 30-06. I loaded my own using a Lee Loader that I bought for $5.95. I was hooked for life when the first few rounds I loaded produced a 1" group at 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.