Introduction...and question

Keep the availability and PRICE of factory ammo in mind! Some of those exotics are really expensive to practice with! Some are over 3 bucks a shot! With very limited bullet choices! While the good old 300WM has loads with about every good bullet out there!
Every Mom and Pop place has a box or 2 for sale..With very reasonable prices online
I just bought Federal G.M. Match with 190 Grain SMK bullets for $26.00 a box!
I got 10 boxes! Try that with one of the exotics!
Go with the 300WM and have fun!

Last edited:
Keep the availability and PRICE of factory ammo in mind! Some of those exotics are really expensive to practice with! Some are over 3 bucks a shot! With very limited bullet choices! While the good old 300WM has loads with about every good bullet out there!
Every Mom and Pop place has a box or 2 for sale..With very reasonable prices online
I just bought Federal G.M. Match with 190 Grain SMK bullets for $26.00 a box!
I got 10 boxes! Try that with one of the exotics!
Go with the 300WM and have fun!

Thanks KyCarl, that's why I am inclined to the 300WM. I am imoressed with the 28 Nosler but there's no ammo here for it. My daughter and I want to shoot a lot this summer. She with her 6.5CM and me with my gun. My per week ammo budget will be significant with the cheaper stuff.

I think the 300 win is a great cartridge ,, probably the best if all you are using is factory available ammo.. if you are in the missoula area let me know and you can try some of my rifles and we also shoot out to and past 1000 and you are welcome to join us!

I have been on this site for a month or so and want to thank you guys for sharing your knowledge. I have learned a lot. I live in Northwest Montana, where it is steep and brushy. I have shot several bulls, but nothing much over a hundred yards. I want to get set up for longer ranges as I want to start hunting the more open country in the state.

Based on what I have learned from you guys, I am thinking I will go with a 300 WM with a brake. I'm a little concerned with recoil much beyond that. I will be shooting factory loads and my goal this coming year is to become accurate at 300-600 yards.

I am considering the Browning Hell's Canyon Ambush with the McMillan stock, a Christiansen Arms Ridgeline, or the new Fierce Carbon Fury. Any input or suggestions for me?

I was also thinking about the Swaravski Z5, 5-22, or maybe a Nightforce? I have enough Cabelas points stashed to buy any of those guns, assuming they will be offering the Carbon Fury soon and I'm going to spend a lot of time shooting this summer. Perhaps some day I can work the range out further but for now, accuracy at those ranges seems ambitious enough. Thanks guys!
Finally......an honest and sensible goal. Good shooting.....!

Don't think you could go wrong with any of those choices. I will be purchasing a carbon fury myself this year to go along with the the other 2 300 wm rifles I have. There are many really good long range scopes available now but I'm partial to NightForce NXS.

I think the 300 win is a great cartridge ,, probably the best if all you are using is factory available ammo.. if you are in the missoula area let me know and you can try some of my rifles and we also shoot out to and past 1000 and you are welcome to join us!
What a generous offer! By Montana standards, we're neighbors! I am in Missoula now and then. I'm a UM Grizzly football season ticket holder, and my son starts school there this fall so I suspect I'll be there a lot. Mama will see to that! The longest range I can find here is 400 yards. The Bigfork gun club has 300 yards and I will get to know that range well. I'm going to scout a place on Forest Service land where I can get some distance but it would be fun to shoot with LR guys that know what they're doing.

I wouldn't exactly say we know what we are doing !! But we are learning a little all the time.. also could show you a bit on reloading,, it really doesn't take that much time and can make a difference, although sometimes it's amazing how accurate factory Ammo can be.

I have been on this site for a month or so and want to thank you guys for sharing your knowledge. I have learned a lot. I live in Northwest Montana, where it is steep and brushy. I have shot several bulls, but nothing much over a hundred yards. I want to get set up for longer ranges as I want to start hunting the more open country in the state.

Based on what I have learned from you guys, I am thinking I will go with a 300 WM with a brake. I'm a little concerned with recoil much beyond that. I will be shooting factory loads and my goal this coming year is to become accurate at 300-600 yards.

I am considering the Browning Hell's Canyon Ambush with the McMillan stock, a Christiansen Arms Ridgeline, or the new Fierce Carbon Fury. Any input or suggestions for me?

I was also thinking about the Swaravski Z5, 5-22, or maybe a Nightforce? I have enough Cabelas points stashed to buy any of those guns, assuming they will be offering the Carbon Fury soon and I'm going to spend a lot of time shooting this summer. Perhaps some day I can room youyin Alou w the range out further but for now, accuracy at those ranges seems ambitious enough. Thanks guys!
I am just across the border from you in Alberta.Great elk country here also. My preference on caliber is foret the brskbanf go with a 7 mm RM Less kick and great long range capability. My daughter in law last fall at 8 months pregnant got her antelope at 752 yds with my son's 7 mag. Recoil doesn't bother her and she probably weighs less than 140#. My choice of rifles would be the Browning. I have an x bolt and 2 other Browning's and love them I have a vx3 Leopold 4.5 -14 with turrets on my 2506 and like it enough that I switched my 35 yr old Leopold scope on my 7 mag to the same scope. It had never failed me in all those years of being packed all over the hills on a horse but was just a 2-7 power and I decided it was time to upgrade. Leopolds are great scopes and more affordable Bottom line .- .find what you like

Some great advice has been offered and you're clearly receptive. I don't know if I could take another 6.5 CM at 1500 yds for elk thread. I'm a 7mm guy to the core but the 300 WM is a solid choice for all the reasons already expressed. I can't for a moment think of how one could go wrong with it and that goes for reloaders and non-reloaders alike.

What a generous offer! By Montana standards, we're neighbors! I am in Missoula now and then. I'm a UM Grizzly football season ticket holder, and my son starts school there this fall so I suspect I'll be there a lot. Mama will see to that! The longest range I can find here is 400 yards. The Bigfork gun club has 300 yards and I will get to know that range well. I'm going to scout a place on Forest Service land where I can get some distance but it would be fun to shoot with LR guys that know what they're doing.
Hang around and you'll find out there's a lot of folks here willing to bend over backwards to help you out.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.