Introducing the Absolute Hammer

The Absolute Hammer seems like such a simple concept--reduced bearing surfaces causes lower pressure which enables one to use faster powder to get a substantial velocity gain.....so why didn't the teams of engineers at the major ammo and bullet manufacturers come up with this first??

I know this is a rhetorical question, but I can't resist answering . . .

Because most in the firearms industry are tradition-bound and ossified, and refuse/are terrified to try something new.

JMHO

Last edited:
One thing to remember about turned bullets is that any changes you want to do are just made on a keyboard and turn a few out and see if it works. Cup and cores bullets require various dies and different jacket lengths different core lengths and that's slot to do for a simple change. Look how many different weight and calibers they came out with so fast in the absolute hammer bullets. You couldn't do that in cup and core. Would be very expensive and take lots of time getting dies ground. Dies are very expensive for making bullets and you would need a bunch of them. Hammer bullet obviously has a very good program writer and a cnc lathe and copper rods and your off to the races. Solids have lots of advantages. Making small runs and micro changes in design is a big one.
Shep

Last edited:
Hammer bullet obviously has a very good program writer and a cnc lathe and copper rods and your off to the races.
Also remember where the last cut is made and how it can affect your measurements if you are using the Stoney Point or Hornady gauge.
nipp.jpg
nip.jpg

Didn't look through every page of this thread (might consider splitting up by caliber). Anyone loaded the 7mm 154 dead blows or 154 absolutes?

Have a 7 Sherman Max I'd like to try them in. Saw the load data thread and someone was still using rl 26 but it said 155 gr not 154 gr...wasn't sure if they were submitting data on the regular hammer hunters or if it was a typo.
Based on descriptions from Steve I was expecting to rl 23 or rl 16 to be the powder of choice for the absolute hammers.

Thanks

Just to add a little to my previous post.
123ah
6.5 Creedmoor
Lapua small primer
Rem 7 1/2
2.872" oal 2.927" to lands .055" jump
Savage 12fv 26" barrel

I stuffed 45gr of Reloder 16 in one and sent it over the magnetospeed. 3106 fps zero pressure. Wish I could stuff a couple more grains in there, but it was getting crunchy after dropping it through a 12" drop tube. Makes me want to get my 6.5 x 55 ai done. R16 might be great in a 6.5-06, or a 6.5 x 284. Maybe even a 6.5prc

Just to add a little to my previous post.
123ah
6.5 Creedmoor
Lapua small primer
Rem 7 1/2
2.872" oal 2.927" to lands .055" jump
Savage 12fv 26" barrel

I stuffed 45gr of Reloder 16 in one and sent it over the magnetospeed. 3106 fps zero pressure. Wish I could stuff a couple more grains in there, but it was getting crunchy after dropping it through a 12" drop tube. Makes me want to get my 6.5 x 55 ai done. R16 might be great in a 6.5-06, or a 6.5 x 284. Maybe even a 6.5prc

You're not too far behind the speed I get with the 124H in my PRC. Unbelievable !!

Honestly I can't imagine this came out of a modern CNC lathe. I'm not making accusations but it seems to me that this was chucked into some sort of hobbyist lathe and modified. The tool that created the face is obviously way below centre. The bevel sucks hard as well. That being said a bad part can slip through the best qc process.
Also remember where the last cut is made and how it can affect your measurements if you are using the Stoney Point or Hornady gauge.View attachment 222140View attachment 222141