Introducing the Absolute Hammer

Good day, I am late to the party as usual! I saw something about load data being compiled at one place? Is that correct? I really don't want to go through all the pages looking for applicable data! I need the 280 AI data for the savage I am getting re-barreled to a 1:8.5 twist.

Good day, I am late to the party as usual! I saw something about load data being compiled at one place? Is that correct? I really don't want to go through all the pages looking for applicable data! I need the 280 AI data for the savage I am getting re-barreled to a 1:8.5 twist.
It's listed in the "Reloading" section of this forum. Under "Absolute Hammer Load Data" by GLTaylor

Last edited:
I got bored today and tried a little test on the 90 absolute. I lined up two five gallon foam buckets ( thick plastic). Shot was from 30 yards. I have to say I'm impressed. Nosler bt and sierra mk have never made it to the second bucket. The absolute dented the back of the second bucket and split the first one. I did the same test with a 100 gr mk at the same time. It puffed the first bucket out but broke apart into small pieces. The recoverd absolute weighed 43.5 grains. Mv of 90 gr 3860. Mv of 100 gr mk 3540.

Attachments

• KIMG1361.JPG
    KIMG1361.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
  • KIMG1359.JPG
    KIMG1359.JPG
    888 KB · Views: 156
Thanks! Yes I have been searching and reading here. I have been using the 117 Sledgehammers in my 260 Rem for 2 years now....took 4 deer with it and was impressed. I had an AI itch, and after seeing the Absolute line, it solidified my "need" for a 280 AI! So decided to make sure that it has enough twist for the 155 Absolutes!

Has anyone tested these at say 600-1000 to see if the BC holds up?

I think it was Parshal who shot them out to 600 and had to use a BC that was WAY lower than the stated .229 G7 BC given.

Not trying to start a fight, just trying to get facts.

I took the 123's in my 65SS out to 600 yesterday. With a density altitude of 7750 feet, the Labradar showed 3335 over 8 shots with SD of 7 and ES of 20. Kestrel vertical with .229 BC was off the target low. 2.5 mils was slightly higher than aim point and 2.4 mils was lower. G7 BC to match drop was .192. Obviously, I need to shoot it farther to verify but I won't be able to get to longer range before my elk hunt.

According to the Kestrel, at 500 yards the remaining energy is 1521. Velocity drops below 1800 after 825 (energy is 906 at that point). 500 is about as far as I want to shoot at an elk anyway so I'm good as long as the bullet works.

For comparison, the 124 HH at 3322 required a G7 BC of .245 at 600 to match actual drops.
Very interesting. I would not have expected that result. We are going to do some drop validation today. I will be running the 7mm 140 AH. I'll post my data.

I bought 34 of the 123 absolute hammers from a guy on this site. I should be able to get a decent load in 20 or less rounds. I will try to take it out to 600 -800 yards and post the data as well. That way we arnt basing it off of just one or two samples. Just looking at the bullet, I would think that its higher than .192.

Well we shot this afternoon. It was 34* and blustery windy. Pretty miserable really. I think I am turning into sissy with old age! We also came up with poorer than expected results. Although I do not feel good about the shooting session at all. We are supposed to see nicer weather in about a week. Will revisit then.

Did some initial testing of 151gr AH in my factory tikka t3 30-06.

for reference, I have a load with the 150gr Barnes TTSX at 2930fps over 51.5gr Varget

today I got up to 55gr of Varget doing 2980 without pressure. Ran out of light for testing and will continue tomorrow. Still have at least 5 maybe more grains of case capacity. Thought it was pretty interesting that I needed 4 more grains of powder to achieve the same velocity with the AH compared to a similar weight Barnes.

will post full data when I get done testing.

[QUOTE="willfrye027, post: 2005338, Thought it was pretty interesting that I needed 4 more grains of powder to achieve the same velocity with the AH compared to a similar weight Barnes.
[/QUOTE] Yes, that is the whole idea of the reduced bearing surface = less pressure which needs more powder or a faster burning powder which either way is outside the "normal" load data. I have a Varget Barnes '06 load(I'm in lead free CA also) so I will be watching your data, Thanks !