Introducing the Absolute Hammer

I just got the Lee dies and will be testing them this weekend to see if they provide any benefit to my StaBall loads. Also got some 109s to test as well and some 178's to test in the .300 WM.

What powder where you using for the latest test? I tried superformance in my PRC with the 123's and it seems like I have a node at 61.2 to 61.5 based on the velocity though I will confirm this weekend.
Sorry, my bad. R23 for this test.
Doesn't make much sense to me. I previously tested N560 and it was too slow. R23 is next on the burn chart and it burned just fine! Go figure?

Doesn't make much sense to me. I previously tested N560 and it was too slow. R23 is next on the burn chart and it burned just fine! Go figure?
I think rl-23 is faster than were it lands on the charts or it has some thing to do with the pressure curve all thats beyond me just find what works and go with it

My understansing after talking to Steve a bit is that faster powders are better for the 7mm-08. Like a Varget or IMR-4064. I only have IMR-4064 and provably won't get Varget any time soon. Local shops don't have many powder options available at this moment either.

RL17 I have in stock and might work, it pushes 140gr bullets past 2,900 fps

Thoughts anyone?

I think rl-23 is faster than were it lands on the charts or it has some thing to do with the pressure curve all thats beyond me just find what works and go with it

If it works it works.

Man why you have to burst my bubble like that Lol.

Appreciate the heads up. It'll have to be the 140's then.

Thanks brother
Sorry... Better to do it right the first time though. Too expensive to buy the wrong bullet for your rifle's twist. I'm sure you would have noticed it when you got the box of bullets and read the faster twist rate. If it was me, I would have wondered, "Why didn't anyone say anything?" 😁

Got the 7-08AI dialed in, here it is lapua brass, 140AH, BR-2 primer, Power pro 2000mr powder at 49.2gr. 5 shot chrono at 3077 avg. with an SD of 5.8, COAL is 2.925 .004 neck tension 3 shot group was .356 MOA at 150 yards this was the high node there was another at 47.4gr. at 2966 fps about the same size group, the lower node is wider but I opted for the FPS. 24 inch benchmark 9 twist light palma barrel on a long action it will mag feed

Last edited:
Got the 7-08AI dialed in, here it is lapua brass, 140AH, BR-2 primer, Power pro 2000mr powder at 49.2gr. 5 shot chrono at 3077 avg. with an SD of 5.8, COAL is 2.925 .004 neck tension 3 shot group was .356 MOA at 150 yards this was the high node there was another at 47.4gr. at 2966 fps about the same size group, the lower node is wider but I opted for the FPS. 24 inch benchmark 9 twist light palma barrel on a long action it will mag feed

What speeds do you get from other 140 Gr bullets from that rifle?