Introducing the Absolute Hammer

So I ran a ladder test with H4831SC in the 6.5 PRC and found that it pressured out at 3220 with 59.6gr so that one is out but I might try RL26 next for kicks.

I may have missed any earlier context, but what grain AH and why is 4831SC not cutting it (eg what velocity were you trying for)?

AHs need faster powders than regular bullets. I went from 58-60 gr of RL23 and 4831sc for Barnes TSX 140 gr in my 1:8 twist 22 inch 280 AI to 54.0 gr of W760/H414 with 155 gr. AH.
Got it. What powder are you thinking the 6.5 AH needs in PRC? Isn't 4831SC faster burning than RL26?

I may have missed any earlier context, but what grain AH and why is 4831SC not cutting it (eg what velocity were you trying for)?

I am running the 123gr AH and since it was said that the AH needs a faster powder I tried H4350, StaBall 6.5 and H4831SC (per Hodgdon burn chart numbers 124, 129 & 137 respectively) to find the burn rate sweet spot and see which would provide the best velocity before reaching pressure. H4350 topped out at 3245, StaBall topped out at 3370 and H4831SC topped out at 3220 using new ADG brass for consistency.

When loading once fired brass 59.3 gr of StaBall 6.5 gave me 3340fps, when doing the seating depth check a .093 jump provided way worse groups than .08, .06 & .04 with .08 and .06 seeming to be the best in terms of grouping and ES/SD (sub 1/2 MOA with single digit SD and sub 20 ES).

One other caveat is that my barrel is most likely getting a bit long in the tooth at this point. It is a proof CF savage prefit with over 800 rounds on it and i have not been kind to it for the past year. It has gotten too hot to touch more than a few times running hot loads and while it still shoots good I feel it may not have a ton of life left in it. I already bought it's replacement when Stocky's was having a sale so if I feel ambitious I might throw the replacement on there to test and see how it compares.

I am running the 123gr AH and since it was said that the AH needs a faster powder I tried H4350, StaBall 6.5 and H4831SC (per Hodgdon burn chart numbers 124, 129 & 137 respectively) to find the burn rate sweet spot and see which would provide the best velocity before reaching pressure. H4350 topped out at 3245, StaBall topped out at 3370 and H4831SC topped out at 3220 using new ADG brass for consistency.

When loading once fired brass 59.3 gr of StaBall 6.5 gave me 3340fps, when doing the seating depth check a .093 jump provided way worse groups than .08, .06 & .04 with .08 and .06 seeming to be the best in terms of grouping and ES/SD (sub 1/2 MOA with single digit SD and sub 20 ES).

One other caveat is that my barrel is most likely getting a bit long in the tooth at this point. It is a proof CF savage prefit with over 800 rounds on it and i have not been kind to it for the past year. It has gotten too hot to touch more than a few times running hot loads and while it still shoots good I feel it may not have a ton of life left in it. I already bought it's replacement when Stocky's was having a sale so if I feel ambitious I might throw the replacement on there to test and see how it compares.

Great info. Thanks. Based on your experience it would seem to suggest that RL26 may be too slow to maximize potential of the 123 AH in PRC/SAUM applications since it is even slower than H4831SC.

You should be close. My 6.5-06AI has about the same capacity.
I didn't have Staball, but did have 4831sc and Superformance. Pressured out at 61.5 with Superformance at 3500+. Backed off to 60.7 @ 3472 for good groups.

I should try Superformance as I have 8 pounds of it for a general purpose 150gr 30-06 load for our deer rifles in hunting season. My only concern is that it is very temp sensitive which is why I was going to StaBall in the first place.

Not a huge deal for the deer rifles as we only shoot them in the cold but it was a major issue for my PRC as the cartridges I loaded to 3200 fps in October dropped to 3150 fps in November and spiked to 3300 fps with ejector marks on a hot day in April. Although for another 150 fps it might be worth a ladder test just to see as it did give good accuracy and SD/ES last year.

Im also going to pick up the 109gr .264 AH and the 178gr .308 AH to test in the Creedmoor, PRC and .300 WM. If I use the 109gr in my dad's 18" 6.5 PRC I should be able to get them around 3300 and keep the 400 yard +/- 2MOA PBR for his rifle. The 178gr I'm hoping to dual load in my brother's Browning and my Proof CF switch barrel for Mausingfield with 3200+ as the goal in a 26" barrel.

Great info. Thanks. Based on your experience it would seem to suggest that RL26 may be too slow to maximize potential of the 123 AH in PRC/SAUM applications since it is even slower than H4831SC.

Hypothetically this is true but people seem to be getting good numbers with it for other bullets and I have 4 pounds to play with so I might as well confirm it for everyone.

My primary was a Competition Electronics DLX. It is going back for warranty service or replacement this afternoon. I'll probable give it to one of my nephews to play with. My backup was an old Shooting Chrony F-1. It had been rode hard and put up wet. It's on its 3rd screen thanks to my best buddy. Dang sabots.