Introducing the Absolute Hammer

Shot today the 123 Absolute Hammer out of a 6.5 Weatherby McWhorter. Short session. Started at 68 Rel 26 up to 70. Velocities 3245 up to 3427. First four shots .296 inches. Choked the last. Knew when I shot it. No pressure signs and was 83 degrees. Going to keep pushing but like what I see so far. View attachment 214978
I have one of those and some 123s OTW. What twist is your Mcwhorter?

I was asking about the twist of the stw.

Your 8 twist 7-08 would run the 155g AH fine. I am guessing about 3100 fps. My only thought is the 155g AH is pretty long and may not fit well in the short action. We did some testing yesterday with a 140g in my 280ai. Saw a about 250 fps gain over my 143g HH load. Will do some more shooting today and hopefully shoot long. Looks like smoke is down, hoping to see far enough.

This is a 9" twist bullet. May fit better.

my 7-08 has a long magazine so I can seat bullets out to about 2.97". Should be enough room? Gaining even 200fps will put the 7-08 in a different class!

I am not Steve, but I think that 155 would work nicely in a 7-08 with an 8 twist, especially with the added velocity anticipated. I really like Varget in a 7-08, and would still give you plenty of room for more powder, and always seems to be easy to find an accurate load with, and is very, very temp stable. StaBALL might be good, though I don't know anything about it and haven't ever used it, but it lists some good velocities according to Hodgdon. Take that with a grain of salt though, they are running it at much higher pressures than the other powders they list.... (stupid marketing). H4350 might work well if you don't run out of room, and H4895 certainly won't run out of room, since it is on the faster side for that weight range. I would do it like this though....

Start right at or just under Hodgdon listed max for the 154 and work up, first with Varget, then H4350, then H4895, then lastly, StaBALL. Probably because I have the first three on hand. If you have a 24" barrel, I would think around 2950-3000 fps or so considering the room the bullet may take up due to seating limitations, if the 300 fps increase is accurate

as mentioned I have extra seating room, and I have Varget, H4350, and H4895 on hand 😁. I have also used RL 16, and 17 with good velocity, any thoughts on those?

WLRM primers. AOL was 3.40. Think could go longer because LTO was 2.85 and have shot up to 2.90 in that gun. Just starting but all loads were dead on. As you know, just info. All guns different. Good luck.

CANT WAIT to see what you have for the quarter bore version!!

if you were to do a 1:7 twist...based on what you're seeing with the 6.5 I think it will have the same drop at 800 yards as the 131hr ACEs going 3150 out of my 25-06...ballpark numbers of course but I'm exited to see what is possible with these