Introducing the Absolute Hammer

From Steve's website
.264 Cal-123g Absolute Hammer

"In most rifles we expect to see 300-400 fps over conventional bullets of the same weight."

Steve states over conventional bullets. You're correct, if that's what you meant. The discussion in this thread has been velocity gained over a comparable weight Hammer Hunter bullet. What I've seen from the data posted from two sources to date, the increase is around 300fps.

I think the Hammer Hunters commonly leave the muzzle with ~100fps additional velocity compared to equal weight conventional lead core jacketed bullets. 100fps gain for Hammer Hunters compared to conventional lead core jacketed bullets, plus 300fps for Absolute Hammers compared to Hammer Hunters... there's the 400fps.

That was the source of my misunderstanding.
Even a 200fps gain would be a major breakthrough, IMO. Hard to gain 200fps by redlining with excessive pressure.

Last edited:
Never shooting a bullet below the 169 HH weight in my 7 saum I'm at a disadvantage to give a apples to apples velocities comparison
I shot 180 grain Bergers at 3000+fps
All the time.
The 155 AH gave 3348 fps!
And great accuracy
So each of you consider that when working the new bullet up

Last edited:
Never shooting a bullet below the 169 HH weight I'm at a disadvantage to give a apples to apples velocities comparison
I shot 180 grain Bergers at 3000+fps
All the time.
The 155 AH gave 3348 fps!
And great accuracy
So each of you consider that when working the new bullet up
So certainly less than a 348fps gain, if your AHs weighed the same as the 180gr Bergers.

Guesstimating ~300fps gain compared to those Bergers, if your AHs had weighed the equivalent 180grs...

Last edited:
For me personally I'm going to run these in my 7saum this year for elk. I won't be using it but I am giving it to a buddy to use for the season.
Im testing out the 260 HH in 338 this year. Unless Steve and Brian can get me some AH in 338 soon
Anyways those AH bullets look to be a the next step up in bullet design

For the record, I am currently shooting 181 Hammer Hunters out of my 300WM (G1 Sendero 26" barrel) over 3300 with RL26. That's the number where I still don't see any pressure whatsoever and that is with RP Brass. I went a little higher but started to see some pressure from very slight ejector marks but primers were still pretty good and rounded without bolt lift issues. I may just back down to 3200 just because I can! RP brass in 300WM is basically 4x and toss anyway. Just have a ton of it that I bought years ago at a gun show by a huge bagful maybe 500 or so. Just a note for those who may be wondering for real time data. This was just last week in 70 degree weather as well. Shot lights out and now I will be trying the 196 HH with RL26 once I am able to get to range. I will be waiting for the AH and hope it is in the 200 grain range for the 300WM.

You caught my attention. Could you provide your data and components?
215M primer, 1x fired FL resized Hornady brass
50048AB6-F435-4433-B90E-81AB26B5E9A4.jpeg

We got a 30 cal 10" twist bullet drawn up yesterday. We will shoot this one over the weekend. It is a slightly diff dimension with greater bore to groove dim. So we want to shoot it at distance and make sure it doesn't do something wonky.

For everyone looking for load data for the Absolutes. There isn't any. This is wildcat load work. Best thing to do is work with known powders for bullet weight to get a base line for pressure and vel. Then make a determination of where to go from there.

If anyone is not comfortable with load developing the unknown, then this is not the bullet for them. This is for expert reloaders.

We will be loading the 123g AH and the ~180g AH this weekend in multiple rifles. Assuming we get enough time. We will start with known loads in these rifles for the bullet weight and see where they go. Then determine what powder to try after that based on case capacity and how close to pressure the 1st powder was.

As time goes on there will be more familiarity.

We got a 30 cal 10" twist bullet drawn up yesterday. We will shoot this one over the weekend. It is a slightly diff dimension with greater bore to groove dim. So we want to shoot it at distance and make sure it doesn't do something wonky.

For everyone looking for load data for the Absolutes. There isn't any. This is wildcat load work. Best thing to do is work with known powders for bullet weight to get a base line for pressure and vel. Then make a determination of where to go from there.

If anyone is not comfortable with load developing the unknown, then this is not the bullet for them. This is for expert reloaders.

We will be loading the 123g AH and the ~180g AH this weekend in multiple rifles. Assuming we get enough time. We will start with known loads in these rifles for the bullet weight and see where they go. Then determine what powder to try after that based on case capacity and how close to pressure the 1st powder was.

As time goes on there will be more familiarity.
Hey Brother, Send me 50 of the 30 Cal's as soon as you get them going, I'm chomping at the Bit ;)

Recent Posts