Introducing the Absolute Hammer

I'll tag in. Remember guys, this is not a discussion of if he should do this or not, or what people's opinion of this is, or anything else like that. He is simply putting the information out there. Lets please not let this thread turn into a similar recent thread that just got nasty, there is no need to start heading that direction, this is some pretty cool innovation with this bullet design!!

As far as a bullet for standard twist rates, he does have them, the .264 124 grain, .277 117 grain, 7mm 143, 30 cal 181, and several others fit that bill. From how I interpret it, the "AH" versions will be available in all his offerings eventually, based on sales. The 143 7mm version would be nice, as of right now I am shooting the 143 HH at 3250ish with H4831sc in a 7 mag. An AH version of the same bullet at 3350 or better would be incredible!

Last edited:
We are getting 3400 fps with the 199g Hammer Hunter in a Browning Hells Canyon with ADG brass and n570. So if the extra 300 fps holds true as we have seen in the 7mm and 22 cal test rifles, we should get there. We will soon see.
I am re thinking this a bit. We are getting 3400 with the 199g Hammer Hunter. We generally see about 50 to 100 fps gain with the Hammer Hunters over conventional bullets. So I don't think we will be able to gain 300 fps with the Absolute Hammer. We should be able to see about a 200 fps increase if previous results hold true. So I am anticipating that we will be able to get about 3600 fps out of a 200g bullet.

This is not a "rebarrel" forum so why can't we get some bullets that work with our old fashion twist rates? I think it is great that you are ahead of the curve but why should we need to build a rifle to shoot your new subjects?
You don't or won't have to. We do and will always offer bullets for common twist rates.

Interesting concept, looks like a combination of Berger and Barnes technology at first glance. Does the round implode inward upon impact like a berger ? What kind of weight retention and penetration are you realizing ? For some reason unknown to me I have never had any luck getting Barnes bullets to group tight for me. I have tried multiple powder,primer,seating depth combinations etc. in 6 round test loads and never had any luck compared to Accubonds, Bergers, Swift A Frames, Trophy Bonded and Hornady's. I tried them in 240 Wby, 25-06, 243, 300 Win mag, 338 win mag, 375HH and 30-378 Wby. I have freinds that shoot them and like them, I ended up giving them away. Just figured they didn't like my guns. I had some success with them on 7MM Mag however the Accubond was tighter at 100 and 200 by about 1/2". I have often wondered if it was because of reduced bearing surface. Don't know for sure. What are your thoughts on this ? I am no bullet guru I just play around with loads until I find something that flies right then hunt with it, take a look at how it performs on game and try and recover as many spent bullets from carcasses that I can. Good luck with your Hammer Bullets- we can always use a better bullet !!
They will open inside out and peal like a banana the same as our current lines, then shed the nose petals. We can control the weight retention of our bullets by the hollow point depth. The Absolute Hammers will be like the Hammer Hunters and retain about 70% of their weight at high or low impact velocities.

Curious why the big BC difference between the .284 155 HH and the 155 AH?
I think because the AH is lighter for its length. We could be losing some bc with the dip in front of the shoulder. The bc for the AH is figured at the end of its usable distance and I left .5 moa on the table when I calced from our drops since I did not take into account the 5 moa left to right wind hold.

We made this design to stop the varying bc from rifle to rifle due to the amount of engraving forward of the shoulder onto the ogive.

How is burning all that powder and pushing for these velocities affecting throat erosion? In a caliber like .300 RUM where barrels can experience throat erosion with low round counts when pushed hard already, is this problem going to be exacerbated using this bullet and pushing higher velocities? Seems like the pressure has to 'go', somewhere? Just curious. Looks very interesting.
I don't think extra vel without extra pressure will burn a barrel faster. Like comparing a 30-06 running 130g bullet at 3200 fps vs a 240g bullet at 2400 fps loaded to the same pressure. You will be hard pressed to see a diff in round count. A rum compared to an 06 running at the same pressure will not last nearly as long because it is burning so much more powder not because the bullet is going so much faster. Hope that makes sense.

Do you have speed comparisons between this new design and your existing hammer bullets of the same weight in the same rifle?

For example, 155 absolute hammer vs 155 hammer hunter? Comparing to what Hodgedon says isn't particularly useful. ;)
I was trying to compare to conventional bullets of like weight. We should be seeing about 200 fps gain over the Hammer Hunters. I don't have any sxs weight for weight comparison yet. Our test rifle runs the 143g Hammer Hunter at 3230 fps and it runs the 155g Absolute Hammer at 3320 fps.