Introducing the Absolute Hammer

We made a 262g .338 cal Absolute. Tested it in two rifles. A 338 Lap imp and 338-300 Norma mag imp. Both of these rifles ran equal with our previous 260g HH load. We have not had time to test the 338's again since. I sent some to @RH300UM to test in his rifle. I haven't heard if he has had a chance to shoot them or not.

3/8" material arrives today. We'll catch up on bullets and get after more bigger bore testing.

@pickens72 is one of our initial testers when we 1st started the concept. His big overbore 22 cal rifles gave us great feedback. His results mirrored ours in the 280ai's. It seems, at this point, as the bullets and charge weight gets heavier we may not see as much gain in vel.

Remember the reason we designed the Absolute was to cure the issue of varying degrees of engraving on the ogive from rifle to rifle causing varying bc. So if it turns out that the heavies don't see the vel advantage we will still move forward with development for the consistency of bc.

Attachments

• 20201002_080326.jpg
    20201002_080326.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 107
Regarding primers used:

Based upon your loading data so far, the most used primers are magnums, with CCI being the most preferred and successful.
When loading faster powders which these new Absolutes seem to require, you can approach pressure more quickly. Hence the suggestion to approach carefully as with all wildcat cartridge loading.

The impression is that CCI magnums may be able to withstand higher pressure better. May be tougher?

Be careful out there😏

Absolute Hammer Load Data
Rev 3, 10-1-20

Well, guys and gals, you're staying busy.
You are now up to about 8 pages of loading data!
That's great! The learning curve is getting shorter and shorter for these new bullets.

It seems some are still struggling with the concept of needing much faster powders than they are used to using. Be patient and do not hesitate to ask questions or opinions before you leap out there if you're unsure. Especially if you are not accustomed to loading for wildcat cartridges! There is a tremendous wealth of knowledge here among the members. Take advantage of it.

As a general observation in looking at all the data, it appears that the 6.5mm 123 Absolute Hammers are maxing out in velocities in the 3500s range. Some are waiting to see what effect (if any) crimping may have and I am sure somebody will bring in a monster cartridge that will change this.

Till then, keep the data coming - and be careful out there! Here is the current revision (#3).

George
Question on the first .280 AI listed that shows "Ejector Mark" in the Remarks. The next two loads are 78 gr. and 82 gr., respectively. How do you get that much powder in a 280 AI case? Or is it a typo or a miss-label? Don

What type of accuracy are we seeing out of the Absolutes?

Ive ran Hammer Hunters in a few rifles and was always pleased with their accuracy and ease of tuning
James
I have found accuracy to be just as good as the HH as far as tuning it is still easy just a little different in my experience so far, it seems I can tune a little more with seating depth with the AH, small depth changes will tighten groups up more than HH or open them up With the HH I found powder charge and primer to be my tuning tools more so than small changes in seating depth