Introducing the 338 Texan

Doublezranch

A long awaited plan was finally finished this week. I finally finished the stock on what's been a dream ever since JE Custom showed me the reamer drawing. The 338 Texan is a 338-375 Remington Ultra Mag improved. The H2O capacity is 119 grains. Jerry built this rifle on a Weatherby Mark V action. He placed a interrupted fluted Brux barrel measuring a staggering 31" long. The end of this massive barrel threads on a beautiful (and very functional) tuned Assassin brake. The stock was a custom order from Richards Microfit. I preformed the stock then sent it down to Jerry for bedding, barreled action insetting, ebony tipped fore end, and the Texas Star imbedded into the pistol grip. As Jerry said, "This thing is a fence post." We both had a good laugh. Once the custom dies arrived from Hornady, my son Zayne, dad and myself headed 20 hours to spend the day with Jerry. We took some time to visit, set up the dies, and reload some fireform loads. Once we made it home my first call was to Joel Russo. He gave me detailed instructions on how to make the stock as perfect as the barreled action. A month of sanding, shaping, and what seemed to be endless coats of truoil it all came to its final chapter on Fathers Day.
Now that all the hard work is done, it's time to shoot it. I can't wait. A special thanks to Jerry for his time, ideas and unbelievable craftsmanship. Also to Joel Russo for all the texting and phone calls. I know now why stocks cost so much. I never plan on doing one from a blank ever again...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Thank you. These 2 men are truly masters of the trade. Jerry's attention to detail is something you have to see to believe. Joel's knowledge on woodworking, shaping, and finishing is uncontested in the industry. The best part of the whole 6-8 month journey was that these 2 guys are the nicest 2 men you will ever meet. They will answer endless questions and guide you patiently.

Absolutely incredible! I have been waiting for one of these to show up. As stated before you most certainly picked the dream team. I will be watching for shooting results.

Congratulations on a beautiful custom.

It was a pleasure taking this journey with you, and I enjoyed all the texts, pictures, and questions. It's gratifying to see someone take on a challenge that they normally would have turned away from. There's no magic to all of this stuff....a little common sense, time, attention to detail, and the right products will allow you to produce a piece that you can be proud of. Jerry's metal work is top notch. It would be an honor to shake his hand one day.
Now, go shoot that masterpiece..

[QUOTE=Joel Russo; Jerry's metal work is top notch. It would be an honor to shake his hand one day.

Thank you Joel !!! The Honor would be all mine.

When I saw this post, I had a hard time not posting because I did not want to steel any of Jayson's thunder and let him enjoy the fruits of his labor.

I have commented on the importance of good commutations between everyone connected with
a build before,and this is a good example.

I am fortunate that I can take the time to get to know the owner before I start a build (I am retired and do this for fun) and normally become good friends in the process.

It takes all parties input and effort to not only build a good rifle, But also have fun in the process.

It has been an honor and a pleasure working with Jayson and Joel In the past and I look forward
to future projects with both.

J E CUSTOM

morning, have question, with so many 338 cal. versions on the market today, why build another wildcat? I can see the clique that I have the only one. I do that myself. just curious. cart. is an improved and the 375 does not have belt. pickup beds of powder, an the cart. can push 300gr. bullets extremely fast. all sounds good.

just countrygun)

morning, have question, with so many 338 cal. versions on the market today, why build another wildcat? I can see the clique that I have the only one. I do that myself. just curious. cart. is an improved and the 375 does not have belt. pickup beds of powder, an the cart. can push 300gr. bullets extremely fast. all sounds good.

just countrygun)

I don't want to hijack Jayson's post so I will try to be brief.

As most know, I really like the big RUM cases and have seen many wildcats based on this case.
My goal was to find out how much I could increase the powder capacity in these cases to utilize the 250 to 300 grain 338 bullets for long-range hunting. There will always be a bigger case but maximizing the rum case seemed like the thing to do.

The 338 Texan has already exceeded the velocity of cases with more powder capacity using less powder and no pressure signs.

It is a very efficient case and with the 40o shoulder it should be a very durable case also.

My plain is to develop a series of Texans from 7mm to 416 all using the same set of dies with different bushings. (IF possible).

I already have a 30 Texan in the works that should also be a performer.

I will post on the specs and performance of the Texan cartridges when testing is complete.

J E CUSTOM

I don't want to hijack Jayson's post so I will try to be brief.

As most know, I really like the big RUM cases and have seen many wildcats based on this case.
My goal was to find out how much I could increase the powder capacity in these cases to utilize the 250 to 300 grain 338 bullets for long-range hunting. There will always be a bigger case but maximizing the rum case seemed like the thing to do.

The 338 Texan has already exceeded the velocity of cases with more powder capacity using less powder and no pressure signs.

It is a very efficient case and with the 40o shoulder it should be a very durable case also.

My plain is to develop a series of Texans from 7mm to 416 all using the same set of dies with different bushings. (IF possible).

I already have a 30 Texan in the works that should also be a performer.

I will post on the specs and performance of the Texan cartridges when testing is complete.

J E CUSTOM

Hi Jerry......I like what you have done with the Texan. It sounds a lot like what I try to do with the smaller cases and more recently with the SAUM. I will be watching the progression with this build...regards/Rich

Thank you Jerry. The gun is fun, but developing the friendships is what means the most to me. When Jerry said he was doing a 30 Texan, I thought....why not a 7 Texan. Hopefully the results of the 338 and 30 Texan show enough promise (which they will) to support building a 7 Texan. What a barrel burner that will be...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.