Intrigued by truly big 6mms - and their absence in the shooting world

Sounds like an interesting project! I would think that monolithic bullets would survive the fastest speeds and if your ok with the resulting barrel life, I say go for it!

My 25-06 shoots the 85nbt @ 3500 fps. My 22 creedmoor load with RL26 shoots an 88eld @ 3350 fps. It doesn't take long for the 88 eld to out run the 25 cal 85gr and does it with much less wind drift & less recoil while carrying more down range energy.

My 1885 25-06 Browning with a 30" bbl and a strange 1 in 13 twist can push a 80 Barnes @ 3997 with a LOT of Superperformance. Breaking 4000 lead to cases not "popping out" (spring loaded extractor). 3 shots in 5 minute went in 3/4".

Tried other light bullets --- vapor trails. 115s keyholed. A one bullet rifle !

My 1885 25-06 Browning with a 30" bbl and a strange 1 in 13 twist can push a 80 Barnes @ 3997 with a LOT of Superperformance. Breaking 4000 lead to cases not "popping out" (spring loaded extractor). 3 shots in 5 minute went in 3/4".

Tried other light bullets --- vapor trails. 115s keyholed. A one bullet rifle !
My 25-06 is a 10 twist 24". It likes the 80 gr Barnes & 85 nbt. Groups start to open up the heavier I go in bullet weight.

I realize the OP is considering a hunting rifle not a varmint rifle.

Others mention lightweight bullets thought I'd mention this:

I have taken the 6mm 55 gr nosler ballistic tip up to 4200 fps with my sporter 24" 6mm-284 with varget. Best accuracy was 4100 fps. The published G1 BC for this bullet is slightly better than the .224 cal 55 gr Nosler ballistic tip. .267 vs .276. This is a wonderful walk around setup with a very flat trajectory. No need to think about where to aim out to 300 yds. .3" high at 100, apogee .4" at 150 yds and -3.6" low at 300 yds

On Nosler's site regarding the varmint ballistic tip::

Optimum Performance Velocity:
Minimum: 1600 fps
Maximum: Unlimited

I sure sends the rock squirrels in the desert near Tucson flying! KIlls coyotes and jackrabbits just fine too.

The BIG 6's can be a little tough on throats, but hey, so are other cartridges we enjoy. In my opinion, barrels are disposable items like race car tires. Over the decades, I have settled down to the 6mmAI as my largest 6 with a few 243/AI's thrown in for fun. In the 6AI, I can run the 105's @ 3,200 with ease, and at my hunting altitudes, they still have 2,000fps and 900ft/lbs or so @ 900 yards. For deer and antelope sized game, I find it to be sufficient, and I haven't lost an animal due to bullet failure. Granted my longest game kill with that round hasn't been over 800.

A friend of mine used his 6-284 to set a few older 1,000yd BR records, and with regular cleaning, he had little issues with that round. Maybe one day I may try another larger 6 with a faster twist for the 115's or so, but for now, the 6AI or similar has me happy.

I've used many 6mms, from the .222 Rem Mag case necked up to the 6mm/284 & 240 Wby. For me, when I wanted "more", I used the 257 Wby. and 100 TSX. Good luck to you pard!

I am very happy with my two 6xc's and am building another. I shoot out to 1,000yds regularly, they work great. The 105 grain bullets run around 2900 fps for me.

Two facts that seem to be invisible:
1. Barrels are cheap.
2. Nitriding triples barrel life.

I too am very interested in barrel nitriding. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Weather posted or PM'd to me, I would certainly be in your debt.
Johnny

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.