Interlock vs SST

Well the nice thing is I have 3 unopened boxes of 150 Nosler Partitions an unopened box of 139 Interlocks and 3 partial boxes of Sierras of various weights so I think I will use the SST`s on coyotes and give my 220 Swift a break
SkipB, I wouldn't hesitate to use the SST's out of the 7-08. Keep the velocity around 2800 and they will work fine. Most issues occur at magnum type velocity which you can't hit with your 7-08. But as always shoot what you have confidence in.

SkipB, I wouldn't hesitate to use the SST's out of the 7-08. Keep the velocity around 2800 and they will work fine. Most issues occur at magnum type velocity which you can't hit with your 7-08. But as always shoot what you have confidence in.

As I mentioned before, the 7mm-08 and the 139gr SST are a match made in heaven.

I hunted with 6mm 100 gr and 7mm 139 gr Interlocks for years and never had a failure of any kind. I tried the SST and they seemed to blow up or over expand judging by exit wounds and post mortem. I stopped using them. My son tried them in his 6.5 CM with similar results. I left them both in favor of monos and never looked back

I hunted with 6mm 100 gr and 7mm 139 gr Interlocks for years and never had a failure of any kind. I tried the SST and they seemed to blow up or over expand judging by exit wounds and post mortem. I stopped using them. My son tried them in his 6.5 CM with similar results. I left them both in favor of monos and never looked back
Wonder if the heavier SST's will hold together better than the lighter ones. I use 180's but haven't killed any deer with them yet.

Yes, for over 10 years at least, because the ones I still have are 10yrs old. I have both versions.

View attachment 373822
These are what I dug up. It may have been the 150 SST Interlock I shot that deer with about 20 yrs. Ago ? I didn't find any other SST's so I may have been wrong about the old ones being lead tip... And it's almost a full box...

Attachments

• IMG_20220625_091221435_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220625_091221435_HDR.jpg
    869.2 KB · Views: 65
These are what I dug up. I may have been the 150 SST Interlock I shot that deer with about 20 yrs. Ago ? I didn't find any other SST's so I may have been wrong about the old ones being lead tip... View attachment 374257

There are now so many bullets and changes out there it's hard to keep track.

I do know the Interlock is available, or was available in both SP and BTSP, because I still have both. Don't know if they still make both because I haven't bought any in over 12 years.

I do know that all three are deadly, light bullets on lighter cartridges and heavier on larger ones.

There are now so many bullets and changes out there it's hard to keep track.

I do know the Interlock is available, or was available in both SP and BTSP, because I still have both. Don't know if they still make both because I haven't bought any in over 12 years.

I do know that all three are deadly, light bullets on lighter cartridges and heavier on larger ones.
I haven't bought SST maybe 20 years. Interlock I maybe 15 years. I wish I'd of bought so 180's instead of 165's . If the had them. They were a good bullet. Back then I was shooting 30.06 and 308. Not 300 wm and 300 RUM. Accept for that one faithful 150 fro 300 RUM in 2004....

Wonder if the heavier SST's will hold together better than the lighter ones. I use 180's but haven't killed any deer with them yet.

Yes, like most bullets do.

Example the 7mm 162gr SST vs the 154gr or 139gr, the 162gr does a great job on deer and elk. I wouldn't hesitate using the .308 cal 180gr SST on these animals.

Never tried them. It did seem that the sst shed much more weight than interlocks.

I doubt that. The SST's just shed the weight a little faster, hence super shock, but once it reaches the interlock belt it's the same. The jackets are the same thickness. I filed them apart and saw that.
There are things they can do besides jacket thickness to make a bullet behave differently. They can use a softer lead core for one. That would cause violent rapid expansion. They could construct the jackets differently by scoring the inside of the jacket to weaken it in areas.
Hornady doesn't do like Nosler with their boat tails. Nosler uses copper for the boat tail and then they square off the lead core. This prevents the lead core from ejecting from the jacket as easily as other manufacturers bullets. It also adds weight to the base in case of a jacket separation so it will continue to penetrate.

I cant tell you how many elk and mule deer I have killed with the Hornady 139 grain interbond, the predecessor to the interlock out of my 7 mag. I use interlocks in my wifes 6mm and they shoot great and kill deer flat dead, no issues. I ahve not shot any of the SST's so I cannot give you any real world experience with those.
I believe interlocks were around long before Interbonds mid '70s I believe