Interesting results and a ? About custom barrel break-in

MSLRHunter

I just got my new custom 280AI back from my gunsmith, Dixie Precision Rifles. It has a 24" Brux #5 barrel on it. I have decided to follow the recommend break-in procedure that Brux endorses. It involves shoot 1 shot then clean for 5 times. Then shoot 3 shot groups and clean 3-5 times, then 5 shot groups, etc. I am on the 1 shot and clean cycle now. After the 1st shot it took 55 patches with bore tec eliminator to get perfectly clean. After the 2nd shot it took 18 patches, after the 3rd shot it took 15 patches, and after the 4th shot it took 12. You guys that have done break-in, was it similar to this? How easy is it to clean your barrel after it was broken in? I'll get some pictures of the rig posted this week, just got a new nightforce for it that is not even mounted yet.

Evidently, your cleaning method is a lot different than mine is. I get all the copper out of my pitted M1917 bore, after 20 rounds, in around 4 patches. I use a nylon brush with Sweets or comparable solvent.

I've broke-in two new factory barrels; one does not copper foul at all, and one I'll get a light blue patch at around 200 shots.

Last edited:
It's certainly normal and expected to clean easier and faster as the process proceeds. But one thing I found with BT Eliminator, is that it will without a doubt give false copper readings from my Dewey brass/bronze jag and the connection to the rod itself. I was able to simply rub a wet patch along the jag and got blue.......the more I rubbed, the more blue I got and the darker it got.

The CU+2 copper remover didn't seem as bad in this regard, but still something to watch for; because it did it too, just didn't seem as much.

When I quit seeing copper on the lands from the muzzle/crown with an ultra-bright light (sun light for example) I called it "bare metal clean"..........Copper will show up like a spotlight reflection on the lands with the sun "just right" looking down the barrel from the muzzle.

Even with false indicators, it's perfectly normal for it to clean easier and with less patches than the first couple shots........that's what we're after.

It's certainly normal and expected to clean easier and faster as the process proceeds. But one thing I found with BT Eliminator, is that it will without a doubt give false copper readings from my Dewey brass/bronze jag and the connection to the rod itself. I was able to simply rub a wet patch along the jag and got blue.......the more I rubbed, the more blue I got and the darker it got.

The CU+2 copper remover didn't seem as bad in this regard, but still something to watch for; because it did it too, just didn't seem as much.

When I quit seeing copper on the lands from the muzzle/crown with an ultra-bright light (sun light for example) I called it "bare metal clean"..........Copper will show up like a spotlight reflection on the lands with the sun "just right" looking down the barrel from the muzzle.

Even with false indicators, it's perfectly normal for it to clean easier and with less patches than the first couple shots........that's what we're after.

I noticed that with my Dewey rod a long time ago, so I started using bore tecs rod with an aluminum alloy connector and jag to eliminate the false reading. I know it should clean up easier as it is broken in, I was just curious how many patches it takes with guys broken in custom barrels.

10shts with Tubb's FinalFinish(single dry patch between shots), clean, done.
Should be able to clean any bore within 10 patches after this.

Evidently, your cleaning method is a lot different than mine is. I get all the copper out of my pitted M1917 bore, after 20 rounds, in around 4 patches. I use a nylon brush with Sweets or comparable solvent.

I've broke-in two new factory barrels; one does not copper foul at all, and one I'll get a light blue patch at around 200 shots.

Have you tried Bortech eliminator? If you get the chance I bet you would be suprised what Sweets leaves in there. I have tested them back to back and BTE brought out plenty of copper after Sweets was done. Not looking to debate, just offering my results to you.

Jeff

wait 20-40 minutes between each wet patch of Bore-tech and you would use about 75% less patches.

I just got my new custom 280AI back from my gunsmith, Dixie Precision Rifles. It has a 24" Brux #5 barrel on it. I have decided to follow the recommend break-in procedure that Brux endorses. It involves shoot 1 shot then clean for 5 times. Then shoot 3 shot groups and clean 3-5 times, then 5 shot groups, etc. I am on the 1 shot and clean cycle now. After the 1st shot it took 55 patches with bore tec eliminator to get perfectly clean. After the 2nd shot it took 18 patches, after the 3rd shot it took 15 patches, and after the 4th shot it took 12. You guys that have done break-in, was it similar to this? How easy is it to clean your barrel after it was broken in? I'll get some pictures of the rig posted this week, just got a new nightforce for it that is not even mounted yet.

Sounds normal to me and I have broken in tons of barrels with BTE. I too would encourage you to look into some nichol plated jags. But your progress is what you should see and expet to see it drop way off after you get into the group segments of brake in. All this is showing you you are doing a good brake in process and smoothing up the bore... Carry on!! :)

Jeff

wait 20-40 minutes between each wet patch of Bore-tech and you would use about 75% less patches.

Thanks for the tips guys! I have been waiting 5-10 min after a wet patch, so i will definitely try waiting about 30 min from now on.

Broz, you tipped me off to Bore-tech a few years ago in a post and their products are all I use now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts