Interesting Fact about Black Bears

One of the quickest ways to know if you have BB in your area is Back —bacon. I put 3-5 pieces in an ammo can. Trench a ditch or set on rocks so you can burn an alcohol burner beneath. Crack the lid about 2" and let-er-cook. I've had more bears come in on that smell. If you have no bears over two days and obviously different wind direction then you don't have bears within 10miles.

A trick a warden told me about if you want to bait black bears WITHOUT ACTUALLY BAITING. If you are a sunflower seed fan, just take a big bag to your stand and enjoy the snack while you wait. Be sure to just spit the hulls on the ground. I personally know of success stories from people that took that advice, and absolutely legal anywhere its not against the law to snack while hunting.

A trick a warden told me about if you want to bait black bears WITHOUT ACTUALLY BAITING. If you are a sunflower seed fan, just take a big bag to your stand and enjoy the snack while you wait. Be sure to just spit the hulls on the ground. I personally know of success stories from people that took that advice, and absolutely legal anywhere its not against the law to snack while hunting.
That might explain why this fella keeps destroying my feeders. I thought he just liked birds too.

Attachments

• 6D76B658-09D7-45E5-A7B3-F6EF99E2479A.jpeg
    6D76B658-09D7-45E5-A7B3-F6EF99E2479A.jpeg
    582.4 KB · Views: 43
I was told this story from an old guy that had a hunting cabin in the Adirondack Mountains of NY State: Seems he had several tin cans of various fruits, vegetables, and corned beef hash stored on a shelf in the cabin. Upon entering the cabin for the fall clean-up, it was instantly obvious a black bear had broken in and gorged itself on all the canned goods by simply tearing them open with its teeth. During the clean-up the old guy noticed there were a half-dozen unopened cans mixed in with the torn-open empties. And in every single one of the unopened cans were beets! So the old guy surmised this black bear didn't like beets. What he couldn't tell, was the bear able to read the labels? Or was he able to smell the beets inside the tin cans? The mystery continues to this day….
An old Indian saying is:
When an acorn falls from a tree
An Eagle can SEE it fall
A Deer can HEAR it fall
A Bear can SMELL it fall!

Bears have extremely great power for smell.
I know that we are talking about Blacks and Browns but a truly amazing animal that nature has made is the Polar Bear. They are the largest of all the bear species. They say a Polar Bear can smell a Seal under 3' of ice and up to 20 miles away. Also it has been said that they can smell a sow in heat up to 50 miles away. They have been spotted out to 23 miles in the open sea and one was tracked 473 miles in the open sea swimming all the time.
If you truly want to hunt the KING of bears it would be the Polar. One thing to remember that while hunting a Polar - they may be hunting you!

An old Indian saying is:
When an acorn falls from a tree
An Eagle can SEE it fall
A Deer can HEAR it fall
A Bear can SMELL it fall!

Bears have extremely great power for smell.
I know that we are talking about Blacks and Browns but a truly amazing animal that nature has made is the Polar Bear. They are the largest of all the bear species. They say a Polar Bear can smell a Seal under 3' of ice and up to 20 miles away. Also it has been said that they can smell a sow in heat up to 50 miles away. They have been spotted out to 23 miles in the open sea and one was tracked 473 miles in the open sea swimming all the time.
If you truly want to hunt the KING of bears it would be the Polar. One thing to remember that while hunting a Polar - they may be hunting you!
I read and have seen on tv about polar bears. They are amazing . I thought Alaskan Costal browns on average a little heavier/bigger than polar bears but I could be wrong . They both are certainly apex hunterscavemanI would have not liked to have hunted them with spears and bows like indians , Eskimos, caveman, etc.. Scarey to think about it ... 😳

I read and have seen on tv about polar bears. They are amazing . I thought Alaskan Costal browns on average a little heavier/bigger than polar bears but I could be wrong . They both are certainly apex hunterscavemanI would have not liked to have hunted them with spears and bows like indians , Eskimos, caveman, etc.. Scarey to think about it ... 😳
Hehe…well now that this thread is truly detailed (wasn't a serious thing to begin with I don't think, and we're six pages deep so what do y'all expect? 😁)….I heard a good one about how best to survive bear attacks based on species, the idea being black bears don't actually want to fight, grizzlys just want you to know your place, and polar bears want to eat you:

if it's black, fight back!
If it's brown, get on the ground!
If it's white….you're dead!

And while I'm going on about silly things I've heard about bear safety:

on an old radio program back in the day my uncle heard this guy explain how it's very important to wear little bells on your belt or hat so as to broadcast your presence well in advance and not startle an unsuspecting bear…they don't take kindly to being startled…this pretend nature expert, who was totally nailing his act of sounding dead serious, went on to explain how it's also important to know what kind of bears you're hiking and camping near, as different types have different temperaments. He said that an easy way to tell was if you happened to find bear droppings, you could tell just by looking at the poop what kind of bear it was from because black bear poop is full of berry seeds and grizzly bear poop is full of little bells!🤣