Interesting discovery (for me at least)

Slim13

A8E8742A-CD90-42FC-BEC5-99BB34251115.jpeg
Ran into something interesting. During load development for my 7mm magnum, I've been struggling with finding a good load with 168 h-vld's . My last barrel shot bugholes with them using 70gr of H1000 lit by CCI250's. Tried H1000 and Retumbo lit by fed215's and CCI250's with not much love. I talked to my smith and he said to try BR2 primers. I've got a bunch of those for my 260, so hell, why not.

Well, magic happened at 69grains of H1000 using BR2's.

I've found a couple claims on the internet of large rifle primers having issues at sub zero temps with ball powders (which H1000 is not).

Has anyone here actually had a hang fire or failure in cold temps with non-magnum primers?

Sure don't intend to rain on your parade but one 3 shot group doesn't prove much..

Will it do it again? And again? Hope so !

morning, I have owned 5 7mm mag. they all shot 4831sc,
215, 165 or 168 bullets and Winchester brass. never had a problem. very
accurate load. justme gbot tum

morning, I have owned 5 7mm mag. they all shot 4831sc,
215, 165 or 168 bullets and Winchester brass. never had a problem. very
accurate load. justme gbot tum
There isn't a 215 for a 7mm.....and he was asking about primers. But I have also had good results from H-4831sc, but got better velocity with H1000 and Reloder 26. I have tried standard primers in a 7mm rem mag with Reloder 26 and H4831sc with no issues, down to about 30 degrees. I think having a higher load density helps as well. I have had issues with low density loads and standard primers in a 300 wm however, in the form of hang fires.

I tried BR2 primers in my 26 Nosler with H50BMG last winter, accuracy was very good and no hang fires or delayed ignition at 20°F.

morning, 215 is referring to the federal primer 215m.
excuse me codyadams. I have used 4831sc for
years. very good accuracy with this powder. I do not
need U to correct me. Ramshot Mag. is a very
good powder for the 7mm's. justme gbot tum

I have used BR-2s in many rifles, including a lot of magnums. Including 7 different 28 Noslers over the past 2 years. Shot from -10° to 100°+. No issues with hang fires except with one sleeve of 100 that was given to me by a guy. I had 8 hang fires, or failure to fire, with that one box. And those were all in the 60-70° range. So they all got pulled apart,and reprimed with ones from my personal supply with no more problems.

morning, 215 is referring to the federal primer 215m.
excuse me codyadams. I have used 4831sc for
years. very good accuracy with this powder. I do not
need U to correct me. Ramshot Mag. is a very
good powder for the 7mm's. justme gbot tum
I apologize for the confusion, your posts generally have very good information, but can be hard to understand at times due to grammatical error or lack of some pertenant information, which is understandable. Not everyone is good on, or grew up using a keyboard. So I apologize for my misunderstanding.

Pertinent....
Being humble, considerate of others, apologetic when needed, and generally a good person....yes, I would consider it perpetually pertinent, regardless of the scenario.

If it were me, I would simply load up some rounds and test them out this winter in the cold weather you intend on hunting in. Even if member A, B or C on this forum had the same load as you and shot it with no issues, they did not do it with your rifle, and most likely not in your same atmospheric conditions. You have got several good responses stating that people have not had any issues doing something similar to you, so now the only thing left for you to do is test it in your specific rifle, and see what works for you. Good luck sir!!

Being humble, considerate of others, apologetic when needed, and generally a good person....yes, I would consider it perpetually pertinent, regardless of the scenario.

If it were me, I would simply load up some rounds and test them out this winter in the cold weather you intend on hunting in. Even if member A, B or C on this forum had the same load as you and shot it with no issues, they did not do it with your rifle, and most likely not in your same atmospheric conditions. You have got several good responses stating that people have not had any issues doing something similar to you, so now the only thing left for you to do is test it in your specific rifle, and see what works for you. Good luck sir!!

Thanks Cody. I've since talked to some people that have used them in the dead of winter here in Idaho while hunting wolves. Never a problem. I'm going to run with 'em this fall. Tested my load to distance and it's .5 MOA out to 800. I'm putting that rifle away until a month before the season.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.