Interesting Customer Service from Winchester

Ian M

A while back I purchased two bags of .30 Cal. 150 grain Power Point Winchester bullets to blast at my moving target system. While cranking my pet .308/Varget load I came across a couple of smaller diameter bullets from each bag - they turned out to be 7mm 150's instead of .30's.

Although this does not create a safety issue, I was surprised that the wrong bullets could have been found their way into the packages. I sent a note to Winchester, complete with the number code on the bags.

Just received a nice letter from the quality control manager, and two gift certificates that will easily replace the bags of bullets.

I am impressed that such a big company would have a process to respond to such a small issue, they did and did it well.

Needless to say I will stay a fan of Winchester ammo and bullets.

Small issue for you but who know what happened to the couple of 30 cal bullets that ended up in with some 7mm bullets. Or the 7mm bullets in the box of 270 bullets. OUCH! If the wrong things happen in the right order some very bad sh!t can hit the fan.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: txhunter ]

Agree to that and the letter said that they would do what they can to prevent such things happening. Not an easy job I expect, with the volume of stuff going out their doors.

I was simply pleased to get a personal responce.

BTW Winchester Power Points (150 gr) are one of the cheapest bullets available (Midway recently had them on sale @ 2000 for about 160 bucks) and I am frequently getting five shot groups right at or just under one inch with them in my .308's with Varget. I have shot them out to 1100 yards and they were hitting point-first, no tumbling, not match accuracy obviously but good fun and practice.

I guess my true thoughts are that replacing the bullets or equivilant and taking the time to write you a 2 minute e-mail, is the least winchester can do. Sometimes I think they(Firarm and ammunition manuf.) get very lucky, well i'd better make that they and us. But with companies that chuck out bajillions of bullets every year something will enevitably happen.

I think US Repeating Arms, the firearm manufacturer that carries the Winchester name should learn somthing form these guys.

Their serive leaves a lot tp be desired.

I got a bag of 30-06 brass that had such shallow primer pockets the primer was sticking out after seating. I had to ream the entire bag with a pocket uniformer and got 2-3x's the shavings I normally get.
I posted this on another forum and I couldn't believe the other negative comebacks I heard on winchester components.
They're priced right...and stuff does happen....but I think I'll avoid them more now.

Around here thay have a bad rep..I have had two silver tip 380 auto's go pop ....Thud instead of bang...I told my concealed carry instructor about this and he said all negative comments about were about Winchester..I'll shoot these things up in practice,not carry...

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.