Interest in a group buy for a .303 cal Cutting Edge MTH bullet?

atl5029

Hi Everyone,

I have been wondering if there is any interest out there for the guys who shoot 7.62x54R, .303 British, or other .303 cal round for long range to have a good, high BC, monolithic long range hunting bullet. For a while now I have been wanting to do a custom run of MTH bullets from Cutting Edge but it is a little cost prohibitive for one person and would be much more affordable in a group buy. I was thinking a .312 diameter bullet based on their 180 grain, .308 cal MTH.

I talked to the guys at Cutting Edge and was told they charge a $250 development fee and the total order has to be at least 250 bullets. I figure with enough backers, the development fee could be split up to be negligible and we would surely order enough bullets. Respond here if this would interest you. I'm eager to hear what others think.

What are you looking to shoot these out of? Don't see why a good old Sierra or Hornady wouldn't work out of a .303 or 7.62x54.

Personally I'd be shooting them out of my project mosin I have built. I do shoot the 174 grain Hornady BTHP now, but I'm looking for a heavier, higher BC, all copper bullet for hunting.

GSC makes a bullet that would suit my needs, but those bullets are pretty expensive. $86 for 50! I know the MTH would be less expensive per bullet.

For the price you will pay for these bullets, I would look into getting a different rifle chambered for a modern round. The 7.62x54r is a very powerful and capable round, but it isn't the easiest to load for if you intend to hunt at long range. Sierra makes a 174gr .311 MatchKing with a BC of .499, this is about the best you're going to get. Save the money you would spend on custom slugs and upgrading the Mosin and put it towards a new rifle. You can pick up a Remington 700 ADL at Walmart for $379 when they go on sale. Get one in .308, .30-06, or even 7mmRM and get good with it. Later on you can upgrade the stock and rebarrel it.

......For the price you will pay for these bullets, I would look into getting a different rifle chambered for a modern round...........

I don't think you were looking for advice, but if you were this is the best.

I've indulged a wild hair or two in my time, and every once in awhile logic need not apply. Good luck with your search for folks with a similar interest.

HARPERC is right. This isn't really a request for advice, just trying to see if there is anyone out there with a similar need. I would get a 308, but I had a Mosin Nagant I never shot and decided to make it into something unique that I would shoot. Now I want to feed it some premium bullets for long range hunting. It is holding MOA or smaller with Hornady bullets, but I want to some high BC monolithics for hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.