INSANITY !! Ammo and Component Prices

del2les

I just glanced over to GB to look at the latest prices, and it has gone totally insane! EOW panic kind of prices:

Remington 22LR, 525 round box: $245 with 1 day left to bid
1610862832305.png

CCI #500 SP primers 10,000 (10 bricks) $2,975 2days and 20 hours left to bid.
Single bricks of 1,000 bidding at $230 to $270 with hours to days left to bid!

Opinions on where this is headed and ends:

Easy, this ends when people are sitting on modest amounts of components and ammo that they spent all their expendable income on. Over the course of the next 2 years (which my current supply should last me comfortably) I'll casually look for components at regular retail prices to keep my supply from dwindling to zero. For the people who have been through this before, it was difficult to get blindsided. I started stocking up in January last year.

Well when there is a need people will pay for them.

Though when it does settle out, you'll see a lot better deals when all the credit card bills start rolling in.

Me, well, I may not have everything I need but I refuse to pay an absurd amount for things.

Was in the local gun shop this past Thursday . This ol boy is a swindler by nature anyhow he just got 5000 federal 215 primers in and I enquired about the price . I would buy from gunbroker first before I paid what he was wanting . And I can promise unless this craziness last another 5 years I shouldn't have to worry about buying anything. I won't say what he quoted me price wise for fear but it was north of .50 a primer! Absolutely insane and the worst part is people will pay these insane prices. I'm all about making money but preying on fear is not what I call right

I started reloading in January 2020. I was lucky enough to find components before they went crazy and disappeared. I couldn't imagine trying to get started today, there is simply no way I could afford to. These prices have cured my bug to find a faster load, I'm plenty happy with what I have, for now.

This morning, I received a report from a friend who went to Academy Sports over the weekend. He stated the local store was pricing 22LR at 34 cents per round/ $34 per 100!

Makes me glad that I built an ammo fort during the salad days.

Part of me thinks this will blow over. Part of me is concerned that the Dems will concoct some sort of taxation scheme on ammo and components that keeps prices high.

We shall see.

A lot of people are in that same mindset. Lots of talk about banning internet sales, ID and background checks for ammo and components, onerous federal tax on ammo, banning all importation of ammo, etc, etc, etc.

It will end when people's pockets run empty and they stop paying those ridiculous prices. I'd say 2021 is going to be a rough year, maybe we start getting back to some sort of normalcy towards the end of the year price wise, but supply issues will continue into 2022, maybe beyond. Every shortage cycle brings new panic buyers into the fold so each time it gets worse. I thought it was bad after Sandy Hook in 2012 (and it was ... that's what got me into reloading) but I fear this will be much worse especially with the plans Biden / Harris have in store for us.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.