Inputs Requested...33 Nosler build

I have a 338 WM already and shoot hammers in it but I have the older M70 (30yrs old) that was also a 338 but the barrel is done so it's time to make it into something new. Looking at $2200 without glass to blueprint/true and build (barrel/stock/labor). Ur gun looks good!!!
My .338 is 50 yrs old, 2500 round count. What makes you think the barrel is"done"? Round count? Inaccurate at a long distance? Bore scope shows sign of erosion?

You might take a look at the 330 Dakota, great round that has been around for several years and very manageable to shoot. I have one built on a Win Classic. Magazine is a little short for seating the bullets out very far but I am using Barnes triple shock bullets and it seems they like a little jump to the bore.
I just love my 330 it's on a m70 pre war Lilja 26 inch SS. It will push 200 Nosler BT at 3210 it will reach out and touch any thing. Load with h414.

Why not just shoot some hammers out of your 338 wm.. The 338 wm is just a few hundred feet per second slower than the 33 Nos.. Brass for the Nosler is expensive but, 4831 sc is always available and a great powder for the 33Nos, when you shoot 250 grain pills.. I have stacked up plenty of dead animals with the 33 Nos and been very happy with it. It is a custom though, built on a defiance with a Mcmillian, Bartlein, Trigger tech.. weighs 7lbs bare rifle 9 lb with scope. For a 33 it is the most manageable kicking gun I have shot.. At the end of the day you have to just decide what you are really after.. IMHO the 300 PRC doesn't really have anything over the 300 win if you are shooting heavies already... A little N-570 in the ole 300 win with a 215 is bad medicine on elk or any other North American big game.. Good luck on the decision... Personally those 338's just make a nice loud bang on steel at 1000 .. They make a nice Walllop on game also..View attachment 220065

Nothing wrong with a 33N, the only thing I would ensure is that it is setup to run the OAL about .2" longer than sammi spec. It performs much better in an action that can run 3.6" or longer. 3.8" would be even better.

In an action that will only run a 3.4" oal I would run a 338-300wsm or a 338SS/ sherman max.

Need opinions...Have an old Win M70 LA that I want to use for a build. No big plans but want it on the lighter side for weight (might wasnt to take it hunting out west or Alaska) and want a toy to play with out to 1000 yards++. Thinking of a 33 Nosler, Proof carbon sendaro barrel w/brake and HS precision stock. Glass is TBD.

Also considering 300 PRC. Already have 300WM and 338WM.

Anyone have a similar gun already in 33 Nosler? Why 33 Nosler vs 300 PRC? Any other thoughts welcome as well.
Don,t overlook a standard 338 with the bore rider throat. Not a 340 but close.

If your still open to something other than the 33 Nosler , I would recomend the 338 Rum or the 338 Edge . I built both in Carbon barrels and they are amazing on Elk at ..well my last years Bull was at 1244 yards with the 300 gr berger .
Here is the two builds , both all in at 10.6 pounds .
View attachment 220320
I could have shaved some weight with a few changes . But used what I had for parts.

Rum Man
So why did you choose the Edge and Rum? Nice guns btw!

My .338 is 50 yrs old, 2500 round count. What makes you think the barrel is"done"? Round count? Inaccurate at a long distance? Bore scope shows sign of erosion?
Was in military and it sat idle for 18-20 years and barrel got rusty. Cleaned but it just want hold a group. Bought some hammers and tried them in both 338s. Got the other gun to sub moa and don't need two of them.

So why did you choose the Edge and Rum? Nice guns btw!
Well I was on the hunt for a Carbon 338 barrel and found two ! The rest is history ! Ha ha
Really in the end the only difference in the two builds were a few feet per sec from each other. Neither would be a bad choice . Dies are more $$$ for the Edge and more case prep. No bad Choice ..both can be built from a long action mag bolt face . Mine were both Remington and one stainless and one blued.
Rum Man

Was in military and it sat idle for 18-20 years and barrel got rusty. Cleaned but it just want hold a group. Bought some hammers and tried them in both 338s. Got the other gun to sub moa and don't need two of them.
Ouch. Did 25 in the Army myself. Thank you for your service. Lost my Grandpa's first year model 70 along the way. Aunt disowned for that

I'm getting a NOS 338 WM National match barrel from pre 64 in Woodinville Wa

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts