Input on stretching distance on 223 16.25in with 9 twist barrel

Rilow

Got bolt action 223 with 16.25 in barrel with 9 twist I've been Varmint and steel shooting to 300yds, now I'm shooting 55grn Sierra hpbt over Ramshot exterminator and shoots very good. I'd like to start working on extending my shooting skills further (with all my rifles) but figure the 223 is a good gun to start with. I know the short barrel is probably going to limit me some, which leads to the question of what kind of distance is this gun reasonably capable of? And question 2 would be any suggestions on a better bullet n powder that may work better? Heavier bullet?

Not certain what elevation your at, but you could go a bit heavier. How far do you want to extend it to. 69 or 77 Gr sierra MK might do it. Guys shoot to 600 with them. Your barrel length will hurt a bit, but still manageable. Wind will be your enemy.

Not certain what elevation your at, but you could go a bit heavier. How far do you want to extend it to. 69 or 77 Gr sierra MK might do it. Guys shoot to 600 with them. Your barrel length will hurt a bit, but still manageable. Wind will be your enemy.
5-600yds is what I'd like to work on , that's probably gonna be my limit around here. In NJ .

I've shot 600 with a 223 AR15 with 62 grainers. I'm currently about to start working with what I believe is a ppu 75 bthp.

I'm sure you can find a load that will make 600 yards enjoyable. Will it be tremendously accurate maybe not, the wind really gets to those little bullets but 223 can do more that people think

with a 9 twist I'd look at the 69smk

Think I'm gonna try 69grn Sierra. Any recommendations on powder or should I stay with ramshot exterminator ? Gun is a bolt action mossberg mvp that shoots very well for factory rifle

I shoot my 223 with 52 gr hpbt to 500, 18" barrel and suppressor. Wind moves it around. I have a bunch of 70 gr Berger's going to try that next. I use h4895 but I'm not too impressed with my sd and es.

I took my eotech topped AR15 with federal 55FMJ ammo to 500 last night. Ammo ran a 37 SD for 32 shots off the labradar. 200 and 300 was easy, at 400 I went 7 for 7 on 10x10 steel, and then struggled with correct hold over at 500. Once I got on at 500 on the large plate I was able to hit consistently. Its not a big deal because it's a large plate but I had not shot this ar past 100 before. My friend was running his 223 bolt rifle and hitting the small plate at 500 with ease and printed a 20 shot group well under moa. IMO a 223 is an excellent training rifle and fun to shoot. I will be putting a 223 7 twist barrel on my bighorn action soon and plan to run it suppressed. Should be crazy fun and excellent trainer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.