Input for new action for 300 RUM

Randy Tidwell

I am looking into building a new 300 RUM.

My goal is to use the 181 Hammers.

I have a Montana Arms 300 Rum, but the bullets need to be seated so deep in the case, I loose allot of case capacity.

Ideally, I would like the seat the bullet with the top of the boat tail at the neck/shoulder junction.
Ends up being 3.850" OAL.

Who makes an action that will accommodate a loaded round up to 3.900"?

Currently, I am considering Kelby's Atlas, but I am open to other recomendations.

well Kelby wont get you there, they only do a 3.850 MBE-3 cut which wont get you to your goal.
the 181 hammers have relatively short bearing surface and aren't very long, in my 300 rum's they will run north of 3400 built with a MBE-3 , don't worry about taking up space. BAT makes a CFE-9 cut for their HR action which I run a lot they are pretty much the only action manufacturer that will cut this on request.

Thanks Elk Hunter. I tried calling Kelby's last week and again this morning, they don't answer their phone. That does not make me very impressed.

I will look into the Bat, I had a Bat on my Rail Gun, nice actions.

The other action I was considering (call me crazy) is a Ruger No. 1., but I love them. Not sure how it would hold up to the RUM. At one point I had six of them, down to just one now. A 338 Gibbs.

The other criteria I desire (not mandatory, but would like) is a Mod 70 style safety.

Are you opposed to single feeding? Just curious since you mentioned a Ruger #1. I single feed my edge and rums

Not opposed to the single feed at all. Just would be nice to find an action that would feed from the mag.
I can get a second round off with a falling block pretty quick.

I'm not a fan of detachable mags. Just my preference.

We are in the process of moving to OK next month. When things settle down I'm going to order something, not sure what yet. Will not need to deal with CA gun law stupidity anymore!!!

Terminus Helios?

I'm surprised Kelbly didn't answer I had very much the opposite experience

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.