Inner city big boy.

Uh…
That's a 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 year old Buck…
Definitely not past its prime
I have a biologist buddy down in Texas. His opinion is that rack size will not tell you age. Body size, rack and confirmation is a big tell but is not always accurate. He see's dozens of bucks harvested off a huge ranch in south Texas every year. His aging is based purely off the teeth. A blurry picture from the internet is probably not a descent judge of a bucks age. Good genes can surprise you. Then again, maybe that buck was bigger the year before and is regressing. Never know until he's on the ground and get a closer look.

I have a biologist buddy down in Texas. His opinion is that rack size will not tell you age. Body size, rack and confirmation is a big tell but is not always accurate. He see's dozens of bucks harvested off a huge ranch in south Texas every year. His aging is based purely off the teeth. A blurry picture from the internet is probably not a descent judge of a bucks age. Good genes can surprise you. Then again, maybe that buck was bigger the year before and is regressing. Never know until he's on the ground and get a closer look.
He's correct but they body can give you clear signs of aging too. When the belly and spine start to drop and withers start becoming pronounced you know it's a fully mature buck that's probably right at or just past his peak.

Aging by the dentin rings in the teeth is the most accurate way to age them but you're not going to get that opportunity until after you pull the trigger.

The rack itself can vary greatly based on how the weather is and how well they fared nutrition wise from April-August.

That's why the smart folks who are feeding year round concentrate on minerals and protein through the warm months and carbs/fats during the colder months.

Don't take this the wrong way...

But the Buck in that picture, is not a Texas Dog Deer

And when we shoot deer in Iowa and MN, how do you think we age them...after their shot?

With their teeth

On the hoof we age by body characteristics... body size, mass, hanging gut, saggin back, front neck waddle...
And for us...one of the best signs of a SUPER old buck is the antlers are starting to regress.
Huge massive bases, and the rack looks like it is starting to shrink backward and inward
The racks almost look funny... huge bases, tall and tight
Almost like a pine tree

Have this big Axis and harem come thru couple times a month, wife hand feeds her kids (20-30) WT's every day...Trigger finger twitches something fierce. 77 yards from back door.

Attachments

• tempImageEP8cvH.png
    tempImageEP8cvH.png
    922.3 KB · Views: 74
Cmon man, there's no big deer in Ohio! 😉
I believe one of if not the two biggest whitetails ever taken in country were taken in Ohio one where my wifes family is , Peebles Ohio, and one poached in Holmes two years ago, or thereabouts. The Amish buck was taken less than a quarter mile from my sister in laws, and Dave Raber of Peebles helped drag it out, he owns Cedarworks company bird feeder manufacturer, Dave and I have hunted together over 20 years. He's Amish and a hunting fool, the buck shown has definitely left his mark in Peebles the bucks there are to die for, vast country lots of forest and hills. The picture of the Amish lucky buck was taken by Dave, my friend. The poached deer my nephew took his picture, he lives a mile from there. The story is online about the poached deer, $25000.00 fine to the Amish poacher. I believe Cabelas has the Lucky buck .

Attachments

• poached.jpeg
    poached.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 98
  • amish lucky buck..png
    amish lucky buck..png
    259.3 KB · Views: 105

Recent Posts