initial 6.5 Saum results

Matt Wolf

I've just put together a hunting rifle on a R700, 1-8.5" brux 2B @22", chambered with a .296 neck/ 0.081 freebore. For now I'm running 140 amax, and cases formed from R-P .300. I've been squirrelling away parts and components for this project for quite some time, so when a buddy mentioned that he had 16 lbs of H1000 that he wasn't using, I grabbed it. For thre initial range session, I loaded a a few rounds with 58 grains for zeroing, and a ladder from 57.5-61.5 in 0.5 gr increments, just to get a base idea of charge/velocity. Velocities were measured with Labradar. Now, I know the barrel is brand new, and it should speed up, but 61.5 grains of H1000 only gave me 2780. Pressure was a non-issue, but I'm wondering if older H1000 is slower than the current formulation? My lot is at least 11years old. It has been stored correctly, but it's old all the same. Do I grab a lb of newer H1000? I know the 6.5 4s was develop to run a 140 at good velocity, without pushing overly hard, with the idea of reasonable barrel life, and H1000 is preffered because of the burn temp, but since this is a hunting rifle, and barrels are just a consumable, should I just move on to R26 and be done with it?

That is pretty slow. I would get a pound of newer h1000 and load some with the old and some with the new. That way you will have a direct comparison with the old and new powder being the only variable.

You can always try a new can, but I doubt it will make that big of a difference. Your MV is probably due to the 22 inch barrel and that it has not completely been broken in. My 24 inch Bartlein with 60.5 grains of H1000 and 140 Bergers yield 3075.

That seems exceptionally slow. I usually figure about 25 fps per inch for velocity gain / loss. What primers? I would try a different lot just to see. H1000 is tough to beat for consistency. Do you have any retumbo? It is a tad slower and will take a grain or so more but if you had it, you could prove or disprove powder or barrel for velocity loss. Is your labradar set up to grab velocity up close? Rick's velocity's are on par. I would think you would be close to 3k even with 2" less barrel.

Something is definitely wrong here. I get 3033 with 60 gr of h1000 out of a 24" barrel using the 143 eldx, reminton 300 saum brass and a CCI-BR2 (non magnum) primer. I echo the recommendation of trying (1) new powder lot (2) double checking your labradar set up.

I snuck out to the range at lunch time and ran 56.5-59g of R26. Ejector marks started at 58.5, with 2863 fps. Still with virgin cases, and round count is only 27. I think it's ime to just load a bunch and enjoy my 260 with the ridiculous appetite until the barrel speeds up.
I shot a couple of other rifles over the labradar, and they registered exactly as I would expect them to, so that's not the problem.

I would just load moderate loads and shoot until it speeds up. Took me about 150 rounds to see a jump in speed. I would stay with RL26 too as its been better for me than H1000 with a shorter barrel. I have .120 FB on a Bartlein #3 at 20''. With Bertram Brass, 58.8 Grains RL26, Fed 210M and 143 ELD .005'' off- I am getting 3015 fps with very low SD. I am also using a supressor. Good luck.

My thoughts exactly Brando. I think I'll shoot H1000 until it speeds up. No point in pushing hard at this stage. It's a good time to find a seating depth it likes, and fireform cases.

22" is pretty short for a barrel if you're going to worry about speed. I'd load for accuracy above all else. My 7 SAUM really really likes H4831SC. It wasn't the fastest powder tested, but it was a clear winner in accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.