Inherited rifles and reloading equipment. Need help.

Jamesc282

I inherited some rifles and a bunch of hand loading equipment and I am looking for advice on selling them, preferably in a package deal if possible. Most of the rifles are wildcat rounds. I have 3 ruger no 1's, one is in 218 bee and I am unsure of the other 2 calibers as they are aftermarket barrels. The contenders and trade mark(?) rifles are in all different calibers from 219 Donaldson wasp to 47/70. I'm located in Baton Rouge Louisiana and any advice would be appreciated. I have very limited knowledge in this and it's been a little overwhelming. Thanks in advance.

Find someone knowledgeable in firearms and have them help you. If you bundle them together you severely restrict the number of eligible buyers. In other words you will take a beating. Every item needs to be cataloged and described in detail. Just because you don't know about firearms doesn't mean they don't have value. I know that is not the answer you wanted but it is the reality. You might look on Gun Broker and get some idea of their value. Hope that helps.

Don't take the first offer just to be rid of them, only if you want to get ripped off. If they are true wildcats you might make package deals if you can match the dies, brass and other assorted goods that match each caliber. Do know anyone who knows anything about firearms? Take lots of pics and show them to a local gun store owner to see if he will help. You should be able to get a feel if he is helping or not. Stay away from any pawn shop.

I agree with the rest of the guys, trust no one and do your own digging. Greed takes over with some folks and friends seem to forget what friendship is ! Two recent situations come to mind and it's sad what advantage people take ! What you listed is cool older creations that have their place in history of what this site is all about. Good luck

I had a family friend in TX that bought his friends full collection when he passed from the wife... he was in a similar situation. He hunted but only ever had 1 rifle and never reloaded.
1st thing that was done was each gun was cataloged and the list was taken to several gun shops untill he found someone to give him an itemized estimate (for a small fee) then he paid the widdow a lump sum based on the itemized estimate for the whole lot as he felt he should help her out
2nd thing he did was to contact any friends and family to see if they wanted to purchase any of the items directly from him
3rd thing was he took what was left to a local ffl to sell on consignment, this local ffl had a gun store and also took the items to gun shows and posted online to get them all sold

If you just want fast cash, someone will make you a "lot sale" offer but just know that you will loose some profit by doing it that way

Louisiana can still do ftf sales without an ffl/background check-- the only stipulations are the sale must be to a La resident, cant be a mental institution patient or known convicted felon -- and of age of course. But its wise to use an ffl dealer to reduce your liability (though not likely to be traceable)

Feel free to post them on this site for sale also

Understandably, there would be considerable legwork required to go from "limited knowledge" to being able to accurately value a large and unique rifle collection.

I would consider hiring a professional gun appraiser.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.