Inherited 220 Swift Ackley Imp.

I never used the crony and just loaded some light just see what it would do. I will have get some new brass and fire form it and then put it to the test. You sure have that Swift smokin, how many rounds do you think before it's replaced?

Yeah the speeds shocked me. I wasn't expecting that much. I think it's on borrowed time. I need to check and see how much the throat has grown. I have to clean it 3 times before I get all the copper out using bore tech eliminater. Used to be only once.

Is this series of photos just ahead of the leade? I'm curious to see the if the barrel can be set back and rechambered. So if the lands at the start of the engraving are eroded a lot, that could be a possibility to ream to the same or a similar cartridge length or longer. If not, time to think about a barrel in the same/similar contour to match.
In the meantime, load up a ladder test, find a flat area in velocity/target, run a seating depth test with a flat spot that shows up, then shoot some promising loads in those flat areas for groups. Cleaning it seems to set you back a bit. But, give it a chance to shine when its a bit dirty and experiment with a light or heavy cleaning regimen. At least after all that, you'll know. I'm partial to 55 grain Sierra HPBT with Varget and a std primer in my 22-250.
Good luck.

Such a beautiful keeper....
I will be going a ladder test after I get some brass. Been using 55 Nosler with IMR-4064 and Varget seems to do the job. the test will tell for sure. Just what brand of brass would you recommend for it?

Yeah the speeds shocked me. I wasn't expecting that much. I think it's on borrowed time. I need to check and see how much the throat has grown. I have to clean it 3 times before I get all the copper out using bore tech eliminater. Used to be only once.
I have been using Sweets and Butches, is Bore tech worth while trying?

I've never tried those, all my other rifles the bore tech cleans them up really well w just one cleaning.

I have a 220 Swift with a 1-14 twist bull barrel in Mauser 98 action. Purchase it in the 70's I load 55 gr. Sierra Bullets and running out at 3900 fps. You would have to look very close at the target after shooting 5 round at 100 yds to know that all rounds were almost hitting in the same spot, and not going somewhere else other than going in the same hole. Great ground squirrel rifle out to 400 yds. I haven't used the rifle in a great many years, but shortly I will be bring it out to shot short tail squirrels here in Montana. During that time of hand loading I didn't weight cases, cut necks, de bur the flash hole, nor set up coal neither. Fun rifle to shot, and costs to hand load is cheap. Make sure you lube your case before resizing the case, check for case straight after shoot several time, and watch overall length and trim as needed.
SSS

I will be going a ladder test after I get some brass. Been using 55 Nosler with IMR-4064 and Varget seems to do the job. the test will tell for sure. Just what brand of brass would you recommend for it?
Looks like Hornady, Norma, Winchester and Remington. You might be able to fire form from 220 Swift factory ammo. Just need to check the ammo in SAAMI specs to your spent brass. Otherwise, you will need to blow out new brass to the Ackley Improved chamber. Lot of info on this site to do either.
No preference on brass. Whatever you can get these days.

Looks like Hornady, Norma, Winchester and Remington. You might be able to fire form from 220 Swift factory ammo. Just need to check the ammo in SAAMI specs to your spent brass. Otherwise, you will need to blow out new brass to the Ackley Improved chamber. Lot of info on this site to do either.
No preference on brass. Whatever you can get these days.
Found Norma cases at EuroOptic. You can buy 220 Swift in 25 ct. for 18.46, after tax shipping and the rest it came to $52.45 for 50. Man a buck a piece for good brass but it should work for years.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.