Inherited 220 Swift Ackley Imp.

Awesome rifle. My father had that same action laying around, had been in the family for a while, and a 35 cal Douglas premium barrel too. I had it put together as a 35 whelen AI, as he always wanted one, and finished a Richards microfit walnut stock for him and gave him the rifle as a christmas gift.

20151222_193451.jpg
20151222_193533.jpg
20151222_194004.jpg

These types of rifles are my favorite, they are classy, historical, and most of all, have meaning. I dread the day this rifle is inherited back to me, don't even like to think about it. I am sorry for your loss. That rifle undoubtedly is a treasure.

Awesome rifle. My father had that same action laying around, had been in the family for a while, and a 35 cal Douglas premium barrel too. I had it put together as a 35 whelen AI, as he always wanted one, and finished a Richards microfit walnut stock for him and gave him the rifle as a christmas gift.

View attachment 196797View attachment 196798View attachment 196800

These types of rifles are my favorite, they are classy, historical, and most of all, have meaning. I dread the day this rifle is inherited back to me, don't even like to think about it. I am sorry for your loss. That rifle undoubtedly is a treasure.
Very nice looking rifle! You had to feel really pleased building that and especially when he got it for Christmas. You know just working on my dads old rifle really brings back a lot of good times growing up! Just wondering does it shoot as good as it looks. Rod

Very nice looking rifle! You had to feel really pleased building that and especially when he got it for Christmas. You know just working on my dads old rifle really brings back a lot of good times growing up! Just wondering does it shoot as good as it looks. Rod
It shoots really well, 225 grain sierra game kings around 2850, consistently in the .3's-.4's, and suprisingly pleasant on recoil. With his preference points, he will draw a resident Wyoming moose tag either 2021 or 2022, and plans on using it. Pretty excited for that hunt.

Hopefully your rig is up and runnin pretty fast, and you can take it to the field!! Should be quite dramatic on varmints, ha ha

It shoots really well, 225 grain sierra game kings around 2850, consistently in the .3's-.4's, and suprisingly pleasant on recoil. With his preference points, he will draw a resident Wyoming moose tag either 2021 or 2022, and plans on using it. Pretty excited for that hunt.

Hopefully your rig is up and runnin pretty fast, and you can take it to the field!! Should be quite dramatic on varmints, ha ha
A Moose don't stand a chance with that rifle!! Just where did you get that stock, someplace local?

Ordered it from richards microfit. They come as a very, very rough blank, even their "finished" type stocks, and need significant work. I have got two from them, one for a winchester model 52 c rimfire, and this one. While they take some work, you get a very nice piece of wood, and if you have the patience and the tools, you come out with a very good looking stock. I put around 40 hours into this one, did a hand rubbed oil finish.

Ordered it from richards microfit. They come as a very, very rough blank, even their "finished" type stocks, and need significant work. I have got two from them, one for a winchester model 52 c rimfire, and this one. While they take some work, you get a very nice piece of wood, and if you have the patience and the tools, you come out with a very good looking stock. I put around 40 hours into this one, did a hand rubbed oil finish.
Thanks for the information, I am going to check them out!

Just as a reference, this was after a few hours of sanding, shaping and fitting. They come very oversized so you can shape them how you want. They make fantastic winter projects, and come out beautiful with patience.View attachment 197037View attachment 197038
It is looking very good! Just wondering have you ever used WaterLox original sealer & finish? I have done 4 stocks and they are nice, it is made of tung oil. It does take a good bit of drying time but you get a deep luster like lacquer or poly, but if needed you can repair it with amazing results.

Finally removed all of the carbon that I can get before giving up on it. Shot about 8 or 10 rounds before it would start to group after that it shot a 1 MOA and hoping it will get better? Before the final cleaning it shot 1/2 MOA.

Attachments

• PHO00003.JPG
    PHO00003.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 282
  • PHO00004.JPG
    PHO00004.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 268
I just had my swift rechambered to AI earlier this year. I was at 3700fps w 53 vmax. My final load now is at 4200 w 53 vmaxs and at 4500 w 40 gainers. It defiantly makes a mess outta groundhogs. The barrel had approximately 800 rds which included 3 prairie dog trips, before i rechambered it. It has 450 rds through it after being rechambered. Still shooting less than half moa. Brass lasted 7 reloads and started splitting at the headspace. I'm using varget right now.

I just had my swift rechambered to AI earlier this year. I was at 3700fps w 53 vmax. My final load now is at 4200 w 53 vmaxs and at 4500 w 40 gainers. It defiantly makes a mess outta groundhogs. The barrel had approximately 800 rds which included 3 prairie dog trips, before i rechambered it. It has 450 rds through it after being rechambered. Still shooting less than half moa. Brass lasted 7 reloads and started splitting at the headspace. I'm using varget right now.
I never used the crony and just loaded some light just see what it would do. I will have get some new brass and fire form it and then put it to the test. You sure have that Swift smokin, how many rounds do you think before it's replaced?

Finally removed all of the carbon that I can get before giving up on it. Shot about 8 or 10 rounds before it would start to group after that it shot a 1 MOA and hoping it will get better? Before the final cleaning it shot 1/2 MOA.
Is this series of photos just ahead of the leade? I'm curious to see the if the barrel can be set back and rechambered. So if the lands at the start of the engraving are eroded a lot, that could be a possibility to ream to the same or a similar cartridge length or longer. If not, time to think about a barrel in the same/similar contour to match.
In the meantime, load up a ladder test, find a flat area in velocity/target, run a seating depth test with a flat spot that shows up, then shoot some promising loads in those flat areas for groups. Cleaning it seems to set you back a bit. But, give it a chance to shine when its a bit dirty and experiment with a light or heavy cleaning regimen. At least after all that, you'll know. I'm partial to 55 grain Sierra HPBT with Varget and a std primer in my 22-250.
Good luck.

Such a beautiful keeper....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.