Infrared temperature gun?

Anyone have a particular recommendation on a infrared laser temperature gun to use to determine brass temp while annealing? Prefer NOT to spend a small fortune. Have a wife for THAT! lol
I use a ThermoWorks IR laser temperature thermometer for BBQ. It is rated from -75 to 1022 degrees Fahrenheit. It would be very good for your application.

Attachments

• 306D8E14-F102-43C7-984F-6063BAFFFDC6.jpeg
    306D8E14-F102-43C7-984F-6063BAFFFDC6.jpeg
    781.4 KB · Views: 171
I doubt it would work, and probably even worse than templaque.
There is varying emissivity to mess up accurate measure.

Your best bet, honestly, is to use a heating source that is simply at the correct temperature. That would be dip annealing. With this, there is no way to get anything wrong.
https://www.thermoworks.com/emissivity-table
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/infrared-thermometer-to-measue-anneal-temp.3689620/
https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?511-Salt-Bath-Case-Annealing

Anyone have a particular recommendation on a infrared laser temperature gun to use to determine brass temp while annealing? Prefer NOT to spend a small fortune. Have a wife for THAT! lol

This is the one that I use. It was purchased for checking air condition temperature at the registers (Non contact). It has plenty of range and is instant read out. I use it for annealing, and like it better than the Templaque because of the accuracy and lack of cleaning of the brass after annealing.

I can also use it to find the best distance to position the flame by testing the flame it,s self where it will contact the case. After setting the parameters of time and distance, I also check the case as it drops out of the Annealer and before it drops in the water to get the exact temperature I want.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RZVZ6L/?tag=lrhmag19-20

There are more expensive models, But I wanted to keep it simple. And wanted an instant temperature reading that was repeatable. This one works great for me and I consider it a valuable tool for annealing.

J E CUSTOM

I have witnessed a test of a laser temp sensor that didn't work at all. Our theory was the reflectivity of brass was messing up the readings because they were all over the place. It could measure less reflective things accurately, like objects that had their temperatures stabilized in ice water, boiling water and ambient.

Cheap laser temp units like at Harbor Freight are hit or miss. yes, they can work, depending on your accuracy requirements.
Plus, you cannot gun your brass while still under flame, and by the time you aim and take temp, you could have lost as much as 200°F.

Use what you wan't to, But I have had very good luck with mine. Maybe I just got a good one and it works every time or I wouldn't use it. I also randomly check the temp after getting it set, and it is spot on.

I'm sure there is a learning curve to get the best results, and I am very happy with mine.

J E CUSTOM

I have witnessed a test of a laser temp sensor that didn't work at all. Our theory was the reflectivity of brass was messing up the readings because they were all over the place. It could measure less reflective things accurately, like objects that had their temperatures stabilized in ice water, boiling water and ambient.
This is definitely a good consideration. It's important to remember that IR sensors measure IR, not temperature. Since it's basically guessing the temperature of an item based on the amount of IR coming off of it, they will show something that's cold is hot if it happens to be reflecting IR. Would have to keep this in mind as even a cold piece of brass could reflect the IR coming off of the torch for example. I think you could still make it work though, and reading through posts it seems some have. I've thought about trying it myself but for now have been just using templaq.

They don't work well on high reflectivity items like brass. I've got a high dollar IR temp gun from work and it won't work at all.

They don't work well on high reflectivity items like brass. I've got a high dollar IR temp gun from work and it won't work at all.

If you want to prove it to yourself ... paint half black and see what you get.

I spin my cases while heating and the laser IF thermometers don't work as the metal is too reflective, moving, and convex. I use Templaque 750 to calibrate my system using two cases. Then, it's off to the races.

The problem with templaque is that it takes time to change, while your flame is in extreme excess(~3,600degF) of correct temperature(~750degF), and with that heating brass through & beyond correct temperature at a very fast rate.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.