Information on McGowen barrels

Short Case

I have post wanting a new barrel here and got a reply on a McGowen barrel a person
has for sale. I have never used one of there barrels. What I have seem on there
web site is they are about $50.00 lest them most of the other barrel company.
Has any one here used them and what do you think of them, $50.00 is not that much
saving if they are not match grade.

Thank you
Don

The only experience I have with mcgowen barrels is a prefit 7mm rem mag barrel for a savage. It shoots honest 1/4" 3 shot groups which is better than my Brux I had installed on my semi custom. I doubt every barrel is that good, but I was very pleased with the one I've shot.

I as well as many friends have used McGowen barrels with great results.

I've got a 270 Win semi custom built in the mid 80s, it has a McGowen barrel and was chambered by Harry McGowen himself. It is a hands down tack driver. However, I can't speak for the quality of the business since he sold out and they moved it to Montana.

I've used Mcgowen bbl's on three builds (4 if you count 10/22) and have had excellent results.

I have a couple of palma contour 338 Edges... They shoot extremely well... One was a home build with a pre-fit barrel. The other is a build done at McGowan..I believe you have every chance of getting a great accurate barrel from them as you would from any other barrel maker. JMO Dave

I had one chambered in 260AI last year, it was a legitimate 1/2MOA rifle. I would not hesitate to use them again.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.