Information on bolt conversion.

SavageHunter11

Looking for information on the logistics of converting a bolt head. I'm going to start an interesting rifle build now that the Christmas bonus is on the way if it's even possible. I'm wanting to build a .22 K-Hornet left hand straight pull bolt rifle. I know this configuration doesn't exists in any factory form that I know of but I know there are left-handed straight pull out there and I know there are right handed 22 Hornet straight pulls out there. I'm trying to source information of how big of a pain this will be if it's even possible at all. In my head this project would entail:
  1. Sourcing a left hand straight pull in a convertible caliber (223 remington?).
  2. Converting the bolt to work with 22 Hornet
  3. rebarrel action for 22 K-Hornet
  4. (Probably) Have custom stock made to accept CZ hornet mags and CZ bottom metal
Hoping someone on here would have some insight or a direction I can start looking or if this is an unobtainable pipe dream or if this is a wild $5000+ project that is just unfeasible. Was hoping to get the project done in under $2000 but it's not a deal breaker if it's more, it just depends how much more.

(side note) If anyone is curious as to why I want to build this rifle; this has been a pipe dream of mine for over 10 years now to build. After reading some article (that I can not find again) proclaiming the 22 Hornet as the "perfect Turkey caliber", I bought a H&R Handi Rifle in 22 K-Hornet for $75 and have killed many Jakes with it and I love that little caliber. The in college I shot a K31 my roommate bought at the local gun show as well as watching the winter Olympic biathlon athletes with their super slick straight-pull 22's. I have been obsessed with building this idea to have a left-handed 22 K-Hornet straight pull and finally I (hopefully) have enough funds to do it.

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to use an AR as a platform. The bolt rotates and locks as the battery is closed. If you are not machinist you probably will pay large sums to have this work done.

Your best bet would be to use an AR as a platform. The bolt rotates and locks as the battery is closed. If you are not machinist you probably will pay large sums to have this work done.
I'm not a machinist but I do have access to a full machine shop to manufacture some small parts if needed. Manufacturing a custom AR bolt would be well within the ability of the shop.

I would us a bolt lever that passed through and had a pivot near the far side of the bolt that locked the bolt in place via a catch on the left side of the receiver. As you pulled the bolt rearward it would release the catch and allow it to move rearward. You would have the lugs in place and then the latch would prove you were locked into battery. This has been a dream of mine also.

I would us a bolt lever that passed through and had a pivot near the far side of the bolt that locked the bolt in place via a catch on the left side of the receiver. As you pulled the bolt rearward it would release the catch and allow it to move rearward. You would have the lugs in place and then the latch would prove you were locked into battery. This has been a dream of mine also.
Same caliber or just a left hand straight-pull for your dream rifle? Also that's a really good suggestion. I assume you've given this a fair bit of thought yourself?

you would not have to work out trigger timing but primary extraction might need to be figured out. probably us the lever sticking out that locks the bolt to also push angainst a abutment to facilitate PE

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts