Info on reamers

If you need a reamer ground or designed as I have done every day for the last thirty years, you will do three things if you want a rifle that will shoot as good as you can read the wind . First seat a bullet in a primer less case (dummy round ) send it in with any specifics like neck size or jump . Second have the Reamer Grinder send you a copy of the print so you can view it ( STATE THAT ON A NOTE IN THE BOX ) . If you don't tell some one it usually is sent after it made or not at all . Third if its a custom , Wildcat , or Small base Competition send the approved print to the Die company to have them set you up with a appropriate fitting Die. I make the Die reamers for Hornady , Reading , Forester , Whidden and many others . I know a little about reamer to Die fit . If you do not follow this simple procedure you may not get the fit or bullet touch you are looking for . Then its the Barrel makers fault , the Die makers fault the reamer makers fault , the Smiths fault , WELL YOU GET IT . Now if you say , man I just want the best reamer I can get with out all this BS then tell any one of us that you choose what you are looking for and Most of the reamer makers can get you out a *** KICKING set up . I don't know about others deliveries but we have been getting 88% of the reamers out in 1-8 weeks . And yes we have some that go way over but that's custom work . I try to get all the Customs out in the same time We get the Factory orders out but if a blank needs to be made and ran thru the machine shop milled heat treated and then ground it can get hung up from time to time. I have 141 Tool Makers and Machinists pumping out 2000 to 3000 Chamber reamers and Rifle parts a day . I am the only one that does the custom prints so you can see I can get behind from time to time . Well hope this helps . Thanks Dave

Hey Dave,
I've got a custom reamer job for you, can you please give me your email address at PTG and I'll send my drawing etc...

Regards Steven Middleton.

Dave cuts my reamers, never a problem. Most of mine are standard reamers but my line of cartridges and a few others were custom cut. Dave has a ton of prints on file so if you want something from the br community you could probably call him up and they can email you a set of prints and you can get the one you want out of the stack.

Sinarms , Bear , Hired gun as always I thank you for your support and friend ship . You know for all the folks out there building rifles or having rifles built,I don't think a lot of folks under stand how important the reamer design is and the time it takes to manufacture/ grind a reamer to a fine tolerance . My friend Hugh Hendrickson takes along time to get them correct and his deliveries are 1-2 years in some cases and rightly so for a one man shop. Some others are 16-32 weeks for the same reason , demand. We are no different than them only with 80 % more demand . Now that I have more help we have a 48 hour turn around for the folks that have a emergency, just ask the sales department if you need it. I talked with a customer the other day that read this post , he said one of our competitors quoted 16- 24 weeks and 295 bucks for a custom reamer, 103 for a gauge and he asked me how I can get them out faster and at half the price . Well I told him two years ago I found myself getting 30 to 90 more reamer orders than I could grind per day with embarrassing deliveries of 1-22 weeks or more . I was also forced to hired extra sales staff that didn't know a reamer from a carburetor because of the tremendous demand . Well needless to say I was at the point of loosing are reputation not only in deliveries but my personal commitment to my customers and friends . I was up one night staring at the ceiling worrying , deciding if I should raise my prices like my competitors do to control and regulate orders or grow. It seems every thing is worse at midnight staring at the ceiling in the dark . I decided to break away from the rest of our competitors and grow. I invested over 2.8 million dollars in new machinery and hired an additional 44 employees including some of the best tool grinders from Boeing , Marlin , US Repeating Arms and three from a couple of my competitors to help train . I have taken the embarrassing spot I was in and learned from it . We are a big train a rolling now with 146 employees that are all in there final steps of training running 127 CNC and manual machines 3 shifts . Tuesday I sign the paper work on a new Thirty thousand sq. ft. building and I will be hiring many more for that division . This is how I can get parts out faster now for less money. In the next year we will be kicking our precision chamber reamers out in 1 day to 6 weeks like I did the years after I left JGS and started my own shop, that made our reputation then and it will now . I have more folks in shipping and inspection than three of my competitors entire staff put together . I found a man has to put his money wear his mouth is from time to time and if he needs a extra hand for help he only need to look at the end of his shirt sleeve . Remember if you ever need a custom reamer ground I am at the shop designing reamers from 6AM to 5PM so don't hesitate to call me .Thanks Dave

Well Dave you got my vote, you must just about live and breath reamers, etc...
It's amazing the growth in demand for your products.
I took a guess at your email address at PTG ([email protected]) ( I couldn't find it from last time.)and I hope my wildcat reamer drawing got through to you to check and fill in the missing figures etc... ( I can see I'll have to stand in line and wait for my turn.)

Regards Steven Middleton.
New Zealand.

Last edited:
Having chambered rifles for 40 plus years, I have reamers made by many different makers. For the last 12 years Dave Kiff has made all my reamers. Both he and his staff are first quality, period. Some times they get backed up, sometimes they don't always get it right. But you will never find anyone who will work harder to make it right, even at his expense.

Knowing what you need is a vital element is in getting your reamer right. There are many nimrods out here who should seek the advice of an experienced gunsmith before taking on a wildcat project.

There are a number of good reamer makers and great gunsmiths out here who have their own preferences of whom makes their reamers. That is why we live in a free country. For those who don't use Dave Kiff and Pacific Tool and Gauge, thanks because that frees him and his tool makers up to make them for those of us who choose to use his reamers.
Nat Lambeth

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.