Info needed - Barnes MRX 180 gr 308's

badthirtyone

MRX photo.jpg

I have spent a good amount of time searching past threads for info on these, but very little is out there in the realm of real-world performance and load data.

I wanted to get opinions and any information from you guys - mostly anyone from "the long-long ago, in the before-time" who might have actually spent some time with these bullets.

The bullets in question are the Barnes MRX 180 gr .308 "Maximum Range X" with polymer tip and tungsten core. I am aware that some of the other "MRX" branded bullets were changed over to the LRX line, but none of the surviving Barnes products include the tungsten core that adds dramatically to the weight/density of these particular bullets.

Here's my dilemma.

I love the idea of these bullets in that they retain boat-loads of energy at distance and the tungsten rod/plug core helps drive the bullet through the target upon impact.

I purchased several boxes of these, for what was - even back then - a borderline obscene amount of money per round, when they first came out. Then, shortly after they were released by Barnes and before I had a chance to try them, they were discontinued. I have heard several reasons for the discontinuation of these including the fact that they were exceptionally costly for Barnes to produce and that due to their cost when released to the market, they did not sell well.

Regardless, I have had these sitting around for better than a decade now and finally got around to being motivated enough to at least figure out what I'd like to do with these.

I guess I am trying to figure out if it is worth working up a load for a bullet that has not been produced in nearly ten years and is never coming back, or if I just sell them off and be done with them.

At this point they are just expensive novelty paperweights.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, load-data, & performance feedback.

There was talk of an issue with the core being a problem.
"Several" means 60 ?
NoOne collects bullets so you might as well shoot em' up.
Try a proven load in whatever 30 you shoot.
If they work you have a lifetime hunting supply.
No Barnes ever needed a fancy core to drive through. I'm still waiting to recover one.

There was talk of an issue with the core being a problem.
"Several" means 60 ?
NoOne collects bullets so you might as well shoot em' up.
Try a proven load in whatever 30 you shoot.
If they work you have a lifetime hunting supply.
No Barnes ever needed a fancy core to drive through. I'm still waiting to recover one.
Thanks for the feedback. I have 6 boxes. Only 20 per box, though. So not some huge quantity or anything.

Had many memorable moose hunts with the Barnes 180 gr MRX bullet loaded up in a 300 WSM chambered Tikka T3 at 3000 fps, she took five of her seven bull moose with the MRX and my son two in an identical rifle, when bullet was discontinued I bought up all I could find locally and ordered more online until they disappeared, got plenty for many more years of moose hunting, bullet is only used for moose hunting in those two Tikka rifles with the load worked up years ago, I suppose the 175 gr LRX and 180 gr TTSX are suitable replacements since the MRX bullet is never coming back and we move forward

see attached video I made of the 180 gr Barnes MRX in action, every shot she took on moose was with same result, never needed a follow up shot

Lately I've been messing with the Barnes 30 cal 212 gr LRX Bore Rider bullet in single shot mode and am impressed so far, but I'm more interested in the coming new 30 caliber 208 gr LRX bullet with .633 bc as a repeater option for my 5 round mag equipped 300 LRC with an 8 twist barrel, and 300 Razor with a 7.2 tw, Barnes recommends a min of 1:8.5 twist, but 8 tw or faster as optimum for their new bullet and I'm well prepared

The MRX was a great bullet, and for the time it was released it was maybe ahead by a large fast pace, shooters didn't take to it due to the cost primarily and then a bad rap from guys dissing the bullet, but usually from those who have never taken game or fired one, much less ever held one in their lying hands, such is the gun world hysteria we face in this internet dominated info network that produces an equal amount of false claims daily

But it's time to move on and I will be shooting a bunch of the new redesigned 30 ca LRX in 208 gr (with the 200 gr Accubond in center) as soon as they hit the streets, very soon ......

507F5383-EA60-472E-9CFC-C8B9C9C4192D.jpeg

Last edited:
Played with some in my 300 RUM this past September in a contest vs some new bullets to see who goes moose hunting, selected the Federal 175 gr Ascent over the 180 gr MRX (WS2 coated in pic) only because I need to save them for the two 300 WSM Tikka's they are for

After witnessing the 175 gr Ascent wipe out a bull moose in his tracks I'm looking into working with them and the 300 WSM using Reloder 26, looks like a fantastic hunting bullet for the 300 WSM and similar performing cartridges like the 300 Win Mag, 300 PRC etc ...

BB819D1F-A585-46D1-8124-0966E1B16D77.jpeg

Played with some in my 300 RUM this past September in a contest vs some new bullets to see who goes moose hunting, selected the Federal 175 gr Ascent over the 180 gr MRX (WS2 coated in pic) only because I need to save them for the two 300 WSM Tikka's they are for

After witnessing the 175 gr Ascent wipe out a bull moose in his tracks I'm looking into working with them and the 300 WSM using Reloder 26, looks like a fantastic hunting bullet for the 300 WSM and similar performing cartridges like the 300 Win Mag, 300 PRC etc ...

View attachment 258760
Thanks for the exceptional feedback, and thoughtful answer.

This was the kind of information that I was looking for. Great job on all the moose, by the way!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.