Info for newbies - primers

243yote

Info for newbies out there. If you change primers recheck your load. I found out the hard way yesterday. Used the same charge powder and bullet combo. I did not check my notes until after my frustration. I worked up loads using BR primers and thought standard primers would do. Oh how wrong I was. I was spraying bullets at 200 yds and could not figure out why until i looked back at my notes. Yum, to the slice of humble pie. gun)

243yote,
Not only for the newbies but for experienced reloaders also. Thanks for the honesty and glad that you found the mistake and it didn't find you, so to speak. We ALL need to be methodical and overly cautious in our reloading and keep our minds focused on the task at hand, yet at the same time, not wear blinders. JohnnyK.

After i found my mistake i finally seperated my brass by brand and weighed them. I started by seperating by weight not cleaning or sizing my brass. Most of my brass were once fired brass. Then I full length resized my brass ,trimmed ,de-burred flashholes,cleaned all my brass and then re-weighed. Kept the weights 1 grain apart. Low was 25.0 -25.9 and then 26-26.9. I started with the lowest 25- 25.9. Weighed my charges and then seated all bullets to the same OAL using BR primers this time and what a difference, 3/4 " @ 200yds with my .223. IT WAS TIME CONSUMING BUT WELL WORTH IT. Hope this helps someone else out there that thinks there old rifle will not shoot better. gun)

Wondering, were those CCI200 BR primers? I was always under the impression that the only differance between the BR and their standard 200 primer was that the BR were factory hand "select sorted" for consistancy off the same manufacturing line, Hence; Bench Rest.

As they say "by their most experienced empoyees".

But from my experience using both, the standards always gave me good side by side results with the BR and even the ES was the same and really no differance in velocity. I was using Varget at the time in a .308. Must of got lucky with those loads I guess.

Just a thought, I wonder if maybe it could be the powder your using had something to do with it and is just that sensitive to the slight change however much that might be?

Anyways, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

I've heard somewhat of the same about the standard and BR2 primers. I heard (and believe) they are held to much tighter tolerances than the standard primers and I imagine the whole process is different from the start (they can't put that little "B" on the cup after they're "hand picked" off the standard primer line).
I'm trying to picture this; some guy, with an infinite and intimate knowledge of primers, is standing there all day looking at those standard primers saying, "yup that's a good one, put a B on it". Not trying to start an arguement, but there is a difference. JohnnyK.

I've heard somewhat of the same about the standard and BR2 primers. I heard (and believe) they are held to much tighter tolerances than the standard primers and I imagine the whole process is different from the start (they can't put that little "B" on the cup after they're "hand picked" off the standard primer line).
I'm trying to picture this; some guy, with an infinite and intimate knowledge of primers, is standing there all day looking at those standard primers saying, "yup that's a good one, put a B on it". Not trying to start an arguement, but there is a difference. JohnnyK.

LMAO, Ya you have it right. Basically I meant they were held to a higher standard. But thats a funny scenario though.

The way I understood it was they are manufactured the same way using the same components except they were on a line that their top guys were running. I believe I read when they charge the primer in the BR they are more uniform and of course that line would be set up to stamp them. Maybe they call it the "B" line. :rolleyes: The charge is the same for standard & BR except the BR are a more consistant ignition from primer to primer. Like you said, held to a higher standard.

I will say though, the last few bricks of standards I have bought were very consistant so I have not seen a differance and I run everything over a chronograph when doing load developement.

The standard primers are pretty consistent. I haven't bought any in a long time and it looks like it maybe even longer before I buy any. I can't find any on-line or at any of the local shops that sell reloading supplies. JohnnyK.

Well i went from CCI standard small rifle primers to federal gold medal match and then to winchester standard small rifle primers.Because like everyone else, stuff is not readily available. So that is what i had to use. I didn't have anyone to teach me how to reload, so i just have been learning on my own. LEARNING CURVE. Before this I always thought primers were primers. I just makes a bang! But now I have seen the light. We all learn from our misfortunes. So now i can pass this info to my children when they start hunting and reloading. :D

I don't buy into the 'BR' CCIs anymore than 'Extreme' hype powders.
Well, that said, actually I have all of both!

The CCIs are all just like any other CCI, and same with Federals.
I see less potential for CCIs in benchrest(including their 'BR's) because they take a quicker strike to ignite than any other brand. This is why they fail at colder temps(with firing pin lube viscosity change), and also when not seated hard into the pockets, or with the slightest excess in headspacing. I find that they will not be consistant with less than 5thou crush, while Federal GMs, Winchester, and russian all fire fine at 2thou crush(and at most temps).

But primers of every kind produce different results that can easily take you out of tune. They can make things alot better too.
If you have a light pin(like Tubbs titanium), stronger spring, and your bolt rest is perfect, CCIs will fill the bill.
I'm starting with Federal GMs lately, until I feel a need to try others with a load.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.