Info for Guys Just Starting Out.

No real preference. They both share the same action and differ in barrel length and stock. They have the same potential to perform or not.

If you like the composite stock with alum. bedding, then go with the stealth. Personally, I like the least expensive model because I usually don't like factory stocks anyways.

In the short action cartridges like the 308 win and WSM, a 24" barrel will give good performance. Just get a varmint or heavy barrel and start burning powder.

If possible, check the throat with a dummy rd made up with your desired bullet and capable of feeding from the mag. The bullet should just engrave or be close to the lands. Otherwise, you may have difficulties extracting the most from that barrel.

Reports indicate that the 30 WSM was cut with short throats. Could explain why they are shooting well with factory ammo.

Enjoy...

Jerry

Toes,
If I might butt into your question - the difference is that the Coyote is a carrying gun and the Stealth has much more stock and barrel weight and is more of a long range piece. The barrel is thicker on the Stealth and the stock is much larger in all dimensions. As Jerry says, both are based on short action push-feeds and out of the box they are pretty accurate rifles. Both suffer from lawyer-proof triggers - which are quite easy to adjust and crappy stock bolts that pretty much prevent proper tightening. That is also easy to fix with replacements. Despite the lack of TLC they shoot remarkably well. Stealth will not heat up as quickly as the Coyote in the same caliber.
My friends and I have four Stealths (2-308's and a .223 & .22-250) and four new Coyotes (.22-250's) and have been getting nice accuracy from all of them. The Coyotes are pretty neat looking with the dark laminated stocks but I would prefer a little more barrel diam. on them.

Anytime Ian, anytime! Now, do you have the same thing with the Sendero and the vs? Would the comparison be the same, only the names differant? Seems I have been hearing things about Remington's quality slipping. Wonder what might be truth?

Can't see a similarity with Remington's rifles. The Sendero is essentially a long-action varminter (for big game hunting) and the VS uses a short action for varminting mainly. Sendero is chambered from .25-06 up to the Ultramags, VS is only available in .223, .22-250 and the mighty .308 Win. They both use quite heavy barrels, much closer to the Winchester Stealth in diameter. Not aware of Rem. making a Coyote type rifle, although you can get the VS in laminated stock but it has significantly more barrel on it.
I am about to do a head-to-head test of a new VS verses a new Stealth, both in .308 Win. and should have some fun comparing the two shooters. Have done a lot of shooting with the Stealth and it is a pretty decent out of the box rifle.
The break-in on the VS has been pretty impressive, it has shot some sub 1/2 inch 3-shot groups with BHA Match 175's. Have heard the rumours and bitching about Remington, haven't seen anything out of the ordinary (they still haven't figured out that someone should tighten the **** stockbolts before they drop the rifle into the box but that is a complaint with **** near every new rifle I checkout).

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.