Info for Guys Just Starting Out.

Ian M

I am involved with a lot of hunters who are interested in getting into long(er) range shooting. Long range shooting has various degrees. I am talking about hunters who want to get their equipment and personal abilities up to shooting lethal-sized groups at 500 to 600 yards initially. Who knows, they might possibly move farther out. Depends on their individual skill and equipment and mainly how much money and time they wish to devote.

The one consistent equipment problem that is happening has been with scopes - not enough elevation adjustment capability. Some hunting scopes run out of elevation as close as 400 yards, depending on the rifle, scope model and mounts.

Remedy - be prepared to buy a scope with turrets if you don't already have one (or get turrets installed in your current scope if possible). If you want to shoot past 6-700 yards consider a 30mm scope with turrets, then you should have lots of adjustment lattitude. Also make sure that you have 1/4 minute adjustments, the guys with 1/8th minute adjustments rarely get to 600, even with some turrets.

Another consideration is to replace standard bases with sloped bases that enable an additional 20 minutes of adjustment lattitude.

For your info

Ian,

I've also found with scopes, you get what you pay for.

In the long run, you are way a head if you save up and spend the same money on the optics as you did for the rifle. My main hunting rifle is a .17 Remington. It has virtually no recoil, but gets carried and used almost daily for 7 months a year. It's worn a number of scopes until I finally broke down and bought a good quality scope 3 years ago. The other $200 and cheaper scopes, just couldn't handle the daily use. Some would last most of the season, some not even a month, but sooner or later, they all started having trouble holding zero.

For all I spent on the junk scopes, I could have bought two good ones.

Who makes a good set of weaver style tapered base for a M 70 LA?

Tim-
NightForce makes the best one or two piece tapered(40/20 MOA, respectively) bases on the market for a M70(I have 6 sets). You could also try Rick Piccaretta of RDP Rifles. He makes a 30 MOA one or two piece base for the M700, but I'm not sure about the M70. Good Luck...

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]

Go to Burris signature rings with the optional insert kit. Cost is $50, they make them to fit 1" and 30mm and in any height. They come with interchangable plastic sleeve inserts that go inside the rings that allow up to 40 MOA of elevation. That is max for any normal tapered base and at least 50%-75% cheaper. They are used all the time in 1000 yd BR. Even with big magnums, they do not move or shift.

Brownells sells a set of 20 MOA tapered bases for winchester. Have a set on 300 win mag factory class gun.

HH

Tim,
The more I think about your statement about spending roughly the same dollars on your optics as the rifle - the more that makes sence for guys starting out. That would correspond nicely with $500-800 for a rifle and a similar amount for a really good scope and set of top quality mounts.

This analogy will not work for extreme range shooters as I believe they must put a lot of $ into their rifles relative to their optics.

You are also correct that we get what we pay for - good optics have to be owned to be appreciated.

I like the idea of the Burris Signature Zee Rings, now if just a few more people would make Weaver style basses for a Weatherby Action. The only ones I have found were Warne, and I don't know how well they work! Any advice?

Texas,
If you want some real nice non-tapered two piece bases get the Warne Maximas (p. 272 in the Brownells bible). If you need tapered then Nightforce sells a two-piece set that are good (p.277) but more $.
Need any rain, it won't quit up here dammit. We were dry as hell when the farmers needed it, now when they are trying to harvest it rains every day.

Thanks but No Thanks, Ian we've had so much rain in July and this weekend that I didn't even go to the gunshow
mad.gif
. The Remy has standard Lupy 2 piece bases and want to change them. Now if you could send me some of your snow around the 25th December we can talk
grin.gif

Texas,
Please don't use the "S" word, we are sensitive about that since we only get a few months break from it... Shoveling that stuff is not a great way to start a day, thank heavens for Toro s'blowers.
Not sure which is worse, 40 below and 40 inches of snow in the back yard or 100 above and 100% humidity. There has got to be a place with a little less extremes than Sask.
Being die-hards in winter my partner and I paint our steel plates orange instead of white so that they will show up in that evil white stuff. Hard as hell to spot bullets, not much dust when there is two feet of snow covering everything. Barrels sure stay cool tho.

Sorry about the S word, didn't know it was that bad. Could have been worse... We could have had it here in Texas
grin.gif
. Heck we have to feed our cows DRY ICE just so they wont give us powdered milk
wink.gif

Any way on those WARNE rings which ones are you using the lever or thumb models?

Have used them both extensively and just started with the TPA style. They are a lot cheaper and seem fine. Warne makes two mounts, one called the Maxima that fits on Weavers and one called the Premiere that fits on a unique base. The Premieres are also very nice rings but they lock you into using Premiere bases.
Lever or thumb screw simply means they replace the large lever with a knurled nut that sticks out less but is harder to tighten as you don't have the leverage. Not available on Maximas I believe, just levers or TPA's which have socket head bolts.
Another similar mount that is very good is the Talley, but so far it is not available for Weaver style bases. Talleys are sweet, the machining has to be seen to be believed. They sell their mounts to some big players, such as Weatherby.

Ian,

It's beginning to look like my hunting partner is going to have another big coyote hunt down here right after the first of the year. There is already talk among a few of us to make a little side meet while we are all together again. A side meeting for those who like to shoot things a little further out than the others
wink.gif

You'd be more than welcome if you'd like to come and shoot with us. We had 2-3 others from Canada last year, and one guy came all of the way from South Africa. I expect the Canadians to be back again this year.

You can expect daily highs from 65-70 with ~15% humidity. And if you get sick for the white stuff, We can run up to the mountains and call for the big cats.

Owch, that sounds interesting. Right after New Years our mouth-blown calls tend to freeze up pretty fast from the moisture in your breath and the minus 30 degree weather. Lots of other parts also freeze, like your toes, fingers, nose etc. I tend to look for excuses to travel south as much as possible when the cold hits.
Thank you for the kind invite, I will be in touch.
ian

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.