Induction annealing

Great. I am debating whether to go the easy way, like the video, or the "long way" with components.

Great. I am debating whether to go the easy way, like the video, or the "long way" with components.

I think if you go the "long way" and go with the type that's in sniper's hide and add a water cooling loop, it's still extremely easy to find components and set up if you've ever done any electrical work

I think if you go the "long way" and go with the type that's in sniper's hide and add a water cooling loop, it's still extremely easy to find components and set up if you've ever done any electrical work
I can build anything electrical/electronic. Graduated from specialized highschool, a couple of lifetimes ago. I was doing research yesterday. I did not get a chance to look at the "sniper's hide" one yet. Got a few other things on my plate right now that have priority. I can just shell out the $500 - 1,500 for one like Annie, or AMP.

I can build anything electrical/electronic. Graduated from specialized highschool, a couple of lifetimes ago. I was doing research yesterday. I did not get a chance to look at the "sniper's hide" one yet. Got a few other things on my plate right now that have priority. I can just shell out the $500 - 1,500 for one like Annie, or AMP.

Got ya. I just enjoy building things such as this and had a max expenditure of $125ish for an annealing setup. I'll eventually make it a little more slick and automated like the ones on accurateshooter

Thinking out loud...(always thinking of the next step)..what would it take to add a temperature dial/controller
Well, I'll have to build a basic one first, but that would be something to think about

Thinking out loud...(always thinking of the next step)..what would it take to add a temperature dial/controller
Well, I'll have to build a basic one first, but that would be something to think about

Temperature controller? To monitor temperature of the case neck while annealing?

I think that would be near impossible with a sensor. I was thinking about how AMP might have created their "smart" technology into their machine and at first thought a thermal imaging camera might have been used, but there'd be no way to get a good view of case neck and shoulder. Any sensor placed close enough to the case and therefore coil to get a measurement would be fried by the induced currents on it.

I think what they did was measure the power consumption vs time for various case sizes for a "perfect" anneal and put that into a software that gives the correct time after destroying the test case. That's basically what a diy builder would do, but manually. Find what voltage setting and time gives you the result you want for a particular case type and brand and record it for future use.

Temperature controller? To monitor temperature of the case neck while annealing?

I think that would be near impossible with a sensor. I was thinking about how AMP might have created their "smart" technology into their machine and at first thought a thermal imaging camera might have been used, but there'd be no way to get a good view of case neck and shoulder. Any sensor placed close enough to the case and therefore coil to get a measurement would be fried by the induced currents on it.

I think what they did was measure the power consumption vs time for various case sizes for a "perfect" anneal and put that into a software that gives the correct time after destroying the test case. That's basically what a diy builder would do, but manually. Find what voltage setting and time gives you the result you want for a particular case type and brand and record it for future use.
I was thinking along the infrared lines. Like I said, thinking out loud! I am an engineer, it's a disease, I can't help it

I was thinking along the infrared lines. Like I said, thinking out loud! I am an engineer, it's a disease, I can't help it

Oh yes that's essentially what I was referring to but with a camera since the infrared thermometers and I guess some type of sensor that would work the same way use a "cone" for the measurement area. People have tried to measure the temperature of cases with one of the handheld infrared thermos and they don't get an accurate reading due to the come being too large for the case.

Maybe an infrared camera could be placed above the case and coil sufficiently far away to avoid electrical interference and get a good read on temperature of the shoulder and case mouth. That would be really neat. But I guess it wouldn't get the sides of the neck. Assuming you have the case positioned in the coil to heat the shoulder and neck to the same target temp in time, it might not matter. That would be a pricey way to go, I think!

I love thinking about this stuff too. I went to school for physics and should have gone the engineering route. There's always still time, though...

I have nit started looking into it yet. Only started looking into this yesterday. Remember. You don't have to be precise at temperature point. You can experiment and extrapolate

Here's an update on my build. Don't judge my quality of work on this picture! It's just a hasty wiring job to test it's function.

I can anneal the neck and shoulders to where they'll just start to glow in 4.8s and that's with thick Peterson 284win brass. I think a thinner (Hornady or Winchester) case would be done in 4s or less. If you use 750F tempilaq to determine time, it would be even shorter!

For the parts in the picture, it's a total of about $130. You could remove the ammeter and save $13ish and if you use a 24V power supply you could remove the SSR (using the timer switch to relay induction board power) and save about $15ish.

With it set up and operating as I have it set, I have to stop for a couple minutes after about 10-12 cases to let the coil cool.

I plan to plumb the copper tubing coil to a small PC computer cooling pump and fan radiator to keep the coil cool. Then continuous operation is a breeze. That adds around $35 I believe.

This has been extremely fun learning about and building. Maybe at some point I'll get a solenoid hooked up to the timer and have an automatic case dropping trap door.

Now to get a box built and do the actual wiring

IMG_20210921_024320237.jpg
IMG_20210921_024401336.jpg

Here's an update on my build. Don't judge my quality of work on this picture! It's just a hasty wiring job to test it's function.

I can anneal the neck and shoulders to where they'll just start to glow in 4.8s and that's with thick Peterson 284win brass. I think a thinner (Hornady or Winchester) case would be done in 4s or less. If you use 750F tempilaq to determine time, it would be even shorter!

For the parts in the picture, it's a total of about $130. You could remove the ammeter and save $13ish and if you use a 24V power supply you could remove the SSR (using the timer switch to relay induction board power) and save about $15ish.

With it set up and operating as I have it set, I have to stop for a couple minutes after about 10-12 cases to let the coil cool.

I plan to plumb the copper tubing coil to a small PC computer cooling pump and fan radiator to keep the coil cool. Then continuous operation is a breeze. That adds around $35 I believe.

This has been extremely fun learning about and building. Maybe at some point I'll get a solenoid hooked up to the timer and have an automatic case dropping trap door.

Now to get a box built and do the actual wiring

View attachment 299052View attachment 299053
Awesome