Indiana Deer-hunting rules changes gain preliminary approval

Wildyote

Just a heads up for IN deer hunters on what is "in the works" for 2011.

Might want to add your 2 cents. There are other changes as well on hunter orange/name on blinds, rifle cartridge max case length etc so when you go to the link below you have a link to read them all and another link to comment.

http://www.in.gov/nrc/2377.htm

Scroll down to "Proposed Rules Open for Public Comment" and clicking the one labeled "Deer (Whitetail) ammendments".

This is a copied and pasted email from the IDNR.

Deer-hunting rules changes gain preliminary approval

The Indiana Natural Resources Commission gave preliminary approval yesterday to a comprehensive package of proposed changes to deer-hunting rules in Indiana.
The DNR Division of Fish and Wildlife developed the rules proposal to focus deer-herd reduction in a strategically targeted manner to more adequately balance the ecological, recreational and economic needs of the state's citizens.
Key points of the proposal include:

Changing the deer firearms season to nine days beginning the Saturday before Thanksgiving
Adding a two-day antlerless-only firearms season in October in counties that have a bonus antlerless quota of four or more
Adding a statewide antlerless-only firearms season from Dec. 25 to Jan. 1
Shortening the muzzleloader season to nine days
Extending the urban zone season through Jan. 31
Allowing the use of crossbows during archery season by hunters 64 years old or older
Allowing the use of crossbows by hunters of any age during firearms season
Allowing a hunter of any age to use a crossbow in an urban deer zone during the urban deer season
–Requiring hunters to take at least one antlerless deer prior to taking an antlered deer in an urban deer zone

"For the last several years, Indiana deer management and associated deer rules were designed to stabilize or slightly grow the deer herd," said Mitch Marcus, wildlife section chief for the DNR Division of Fish and Wildlife. "We are now experiencing record-setting harvests, record numbers of deer damage complaints, constituent complaints to legislators, and record numbers of deer-vehicle collisions. The intent of this deer rule proposal is to move Indiana toward a focused, strategically targeted deer-herd reduction."
Hunters have harvested more than 100,000 deer in the state in 15 of the last 17 years, topping 125,000 in four of the last five years, including a record 132,752 in 2009.
Further changes would add a new nonresident youth deer license, add license requirements for the new special antlerless seasons, add requirements to the use of ground blinds, allow a rifle cartridge to have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches instead of l.625 inches, and require youth hunters to wear hunter orange during the youth special season.
A complete summary of the proposed changes is at http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2362.htm
The NRC's preliminary approval moves the proposed changes into the public input phase of the rules-making process. Comments on the proposal can be submitted online at www.IN.gov/nrc; by mail to Division of Hearings, Indiana Government Center North, 100 North Senate Ave., Indianapolis, IN, 46204; or at public hearings. Dates and locations for a minimum two hearings will be announced at a later date.
After the public input process is complete, the NRC will consider final adoption of the rule package.
If adopted, the new rules would take effect in 2011 and would be evaluated over a five-year period to determine if the intended result of reducing the deer herd is being achieved. Success will be measured through maintaining an annual deer harvest sex ratio of 60/40 (females/males), landowner and deer-hunter survey responses, reduction in county antlerless quotas, and reduction in deer-vehicle accident rates.
The proposed changes to deer-hunting rules are a result of the NRC Advisory Council's Comprehensive Fish and Wildlife Rules Enhancement Project and a DNR review of Indiana deer management. The NRAC project drew more than 1,000 suggestions from the public, and the DNR review included discussions with representatives from several stakeholder groupsIndiana Sportsman's Roundtable, Indiana Wildlife Federation, Indiana Deer Hunters Association, Indiana Bowhunters Association, Quality Deer Management Association, The Nature Conservancy, Indiana Farm Bureau, Bloomington City Council, Indiana Forestry and Woodland Owners Association, and a sporting goods retailer.
Leaders or representatives of the Roundtable, IWF, IDHA, IBA, QDMA, The Nature Conservancy and Indiana Farm Bureau spoke in support of the proposed rule changes at Tuesday's NRC meeting.
"We are pleased with the amount of public input given through the Comprehensive Fish and Wildlife Rule Enhancement Project and the agency review of deer management with stakeholder groups," Marcus said. "We look forward to additional public input as part of the rule-making process."
---

Last edited:
Yep, New one is to be 1.8 inches instead of the current 1.625.

Takes in the 460 S&W round..........

and of course gives new room for longer wildcats if one was to so choose.

Don't know how much interest that will have but some will be interested Im sure.

Using a specialty pistol myself just so I dont have to worry about it.

Late Dec anterless season should be fun. Less hunters IMO.

POSSIBLE result from the later and shorter gun season COULD create more big bucks around. With firearm season not opening till the Saturday before Thanksgiving, (Nov 19th for 2011) the peak of the rut will be over or at least winding down. No gun hunters hunting the peak of the rut when the big bucks are running out in the open more after does could possibly give the big boys a few extra years but time will tell. Just a possibility IMO.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
IF the purpose is to reduce the herd, then I think that their thinking is flawed. They are reducing hunting days during both firearm and muzzleloader season. The new proposed late season could result in bucks that have dropped their antlers being mistaken for does, and that season is only for counties that have 4 or more bonus antlerless deer permits.

I don't think putting a 2 day gun season in the middle of bow season will help much either. Maybe for those 2 days, but the deer will be spooked for some of the remaining bow season.

It sounds like they are catering to trophy hunting during the first archery season.

Max case length...I'm going to have to read about that one.

Current max case length (brass, not loaded cartridge) is 1.625" with a minimum bullet diameter of .357". No mention of it having to be a straight walled cartridge.

But for predator hunting, there are no cartridge restrictions...... .50 BMG is legal.

I don't think putting a 2 day gun season in the middle of bow season will help much either. Maybe for those 2 days, but the deer will be spooked for some of the remaining bow season.

Undecided on how that 2 day october gun season will effect things but do know that for THIS YEAR, there is already a FIVE day gun season for TURKEYS Oct 20-24 in a few counties.

One of which I live in. lol

Oh well, maybe someone will push a big boy past me and my bow. That's about the time things start picking up locally for deer.......at least in my opinion.

Allegedly, the state is "rethinking" the proposed changes due to multiple feed back from hunters against most or at least a lot of it.

About a year from now we'll find out, lol

Good luck and straight shooting to all you fellow hoosiers! Hunt SAFE.

God Bless

PS........corn is being picked (shelled too, not silage) locally. It wont be like LAST year where corn was still standing in many places clear thru November!

I was down towards Indy the week after Labor Day weekend and they were picking both corn and beans. It's been drier down there than up here.

The DNR did a survey before the proposed changes were public. 87% of the respondants were NOT in favor of shortening the seasons. So they proposed just that.

I hope the only part of the proposed changes that pass is the change in brass length to 1.8"

Yeah, the whole brass length thing is a bit odd to me. Thats why I went with a specialty pistol.

Seems a bit odd I can shoot a 6.5x284 specialty pistol that shoots right out there (for Indiana) but grandpa's 30-30? oh no. hmmm

The custom jobs for the legal rounds in rifles look like fun but being old and poor, the cost of custom dies etc on top of that didnt look like my cup of tea plus I pretty much expect the regs to keep changing on the rifle side so......eh, I went with a MOA Maximum in 6.5x284.

Basically just a suped up 260 rem. This is my first year hunting with it. Dont have the funds for a GOOD scope but the 4-12x50 I already had will work if it dont blow up on me. hehe

Corn down will be a GOOD thing for me and this pistol. More area I can see deer in. lol

God Bless

Last edited:
Yep. So far, with how the regs are written, without going with a really custom wildcat the rifles are good for about 200 Yds. (454 Casull is the best factory round that is now allowed I believe.) The change will allow the .460 S&W to be used in a long gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.