Inconsistent seating depth with eld stem

Cookie114

I'm using hornady custom dies in my 6.5cm and I'm getting inconsistent seat depths. I'm running 140 berger hybrids and I'm using the seating stem for the Eld line of 6.5 bullets. I'm measuring of the ogive with a comparator and getting about .005 diff between rounds. Ive checked the unseated bullets and they are all within .001 from each other . I'm thinking about just buying a new seat die... any recommendations

I'm using a VLD Seating stem for my Berger's. Berger says you should use a different seating stem if using a VLD or Hybrid bullet.

I'm using a VLD Seating stem for my Berger's. Berger says you should use a different seating stem if using a VLD or Hybrid bullet.
Correct. Berger also saya that a Stem for a eldx or eldm bullet will work with their vld.

I'm using Redding Competition Seating Dies and really like them. I measure to the ogive like you and I measure each round. Berger's are pretty good at being consistent. With the micrometer seating stem you can seat a little long and adjust with the micrometer to get the ogive right if they vary much. Look at the Redding's, I use them pretty much in everything now. Long time ago I used RCBS Gold Medal Match Dies and liked it too.

I'm using Redding Competition Seating Dies and really like them. I measure to the ogive like you and I measure each round. Berger's are pretty good at being consistent. With the micrometer seating stem you can seat a little long and adjust with the micrometer to get the ogive right if they vary much. Look at the Redding's, I use them pretty much in everything now. Long time ago I used RCBS Gold Medal Match Dies and liked it too.
Ok ,thanks for the info.

I'm at the bench playing with them now and I think although berger said the eld stem will work its still just a hair to shallow. Probably that .005 inconsistencies I'm getting.

You can take some valve grinding compound and slowly grind out the stem. You can put grinding compound on the bullet and turn it in a drill until it fits the bullets shape. I bought the seating stem for the VLD and Hybrid's and my problem with the different seating depth pretty much went away. I still measure each one but as long as they are with in .001 I'll go with it.

Take the stem out of the die and put it on the tip of the bullet. If it wobbles then the tip is bottoming out in the hole. You can try to drill the hole a little deeper. If this is your problem valve grinding compound won't fix it because the bullet isn't touching on the part of the stem that is supposed to push the bullet. If you are bottoming out the only solution is to make the hole deeper or get a new stem with a deeper hole
Shep

Inconsistent neck tension like mentioned. Or I usually find that the case necks are to clean or not brushed. Difference in seating force means not consistent bullets are being made. Don't clean the carbon out of the necks. Nylon brush then then seat the bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.