In trying to save some $$$ I moved 1 of my scopes

Southernfryedyankee

to my other rifle. I had a 4.5-14x40 Nikon buckmaster on my custom 10/22 but decided it was to much power for a lil rifle so I moved it to my 308. My question is if the 308 had a high scope mount to accomodate a 50mm obj scope, what will be the adverse effect of having a 40mm obj on it? If the scope is a little high will that hurt the rifles accuracy for longer shots? I am going to keep my Nikon 4-16x50 for my 7mag and get my 10/22 a Nikon 4x40 or a nikon with lower power.

The centerline of the 40mm will be in the same place as the 50mm. In other words your eye will still be in the same place.

As far as disadvantages you will have more room between the barrel of the rifle and the bell of the scope so don't leave it out side or house finches may build a nest in there. They are pesky little buggers once they decide to nest some place. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.