In the market for a custom action. Any ideas??

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
I am not sure where to start. I am looking for a custom short action but have no idea what is good, bad or ugly. I am used to Rem 700's. I have looked at the Stiller's and Borden. I am hoping to keep it around 27OZ. or less. I know many of you have used custom actions and I guess I am looking for some feedback.

As always, thanks

M

Bat
Borden
Stiller
Pierce
Phoenix
Surgeon
Kelby

Start at a low of about $800 and go to $1300 depending. Some come with just action and some come with bottom magazine metal.

Cannot go wrong with any of the above!

BH

I will have my new 300 win home in a few weeks. I looked at several made some calls and decided to go with the Defiance Machine action. This decision was based by info I gathered, and the fact that some manufacturers were so busy they just could not even find the time to return my call. For this I thank them, as I would hate to have a problem or question after the sale and not be able to contact them then.

I look forward to shooting this action, I have shot others and they are very smooth and accurate. But for now all I can say about this one is , the bolt is smooth and it sure is purdy.

Jeff gun)gun)

a2.gif

Hi Michael,

Only ones I can make any personal comments on are the Halls, BATs and Stolle actions. Outstanding quality on all three, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them. Don't know exactly what attributes you're looking on for your build, but I'd check to see if any of these three have what you're looking for. If they do, go for it!

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Broz,

What does she weigh??

Ya know, I can't tell you yet. But I am going up to pick up my 6br tomorrow and I could have my smith weigh it.

The 300 is a long action win. Defiance offers several different versions and options. I felt this was a good pic for weight as the relief in the oposite port side and their own bolt with deep fluting. Then I did add back some weight with an extended tennon (sp)

I can tell you this, they produced this action away less time than the 30 days they quoted. They answer their phone and I like the way they do buisness. That to me reflects their pride in their product. Plus I have since learned, or at least I am pretty sure they are making actions for some very high end companies.

Here's a link. Give them a call.

Options

Please let me know what you think.

Jeff

The Borden actions are as good as any action out there. At $925 it is a steal imho. Everytime I have contacted Kirby about a build he recommends the Borden action as his top choice. Nesikachad just last week in gunsmithing forum started a thread called let it be known- about how much Borden actions rock. As far as first hand experience I have the BAT HRPIC because all my builds have been Lapua based and Borden doesn't make a Lapua action. The Bat is as good as any action I have ever seen. The BAT is expensive. It was $1350 but included integral 20 Moa base and integral Lug. My brother has the Borden Alpine and I believe it is on the same level as my BAT but less expensive. I have emailed Jim Borden many times and his customer service is top notch.Off topic Jim also stated he intends to have a Lapua action out later this year. Anyways for the quality,price and customer service the Borden is hard to beat.

Dan

Last edited:
Last I heard from Kirby he was using BAT M receivers for his 338 AM, BAT HRPIC receiver for his 338AX and for the Edge the Borden Timberline Magnum receiver. I don't think you can go wrong with most of the actions previously mentioned.

+1 for the Defiance action. Very good people. Visited with them in person, their shop is just down the road. They say that if there is any thing not perfect about the machining of their action they want it back, and will replace it.

Steve

PS. Same place as Phoenix with one less partner.

When the term "Lapua action" is used it's generally meant to define an action that will handle the rim/base diameter of a Lapua cartridge. For example a BAT action that can handle a 338 Lapua will also handle a 378 Weatherby but it is still a BAT action.

Mikecr, not sure if I understand what you mean by: Is it just a 338LM thing? If you mean a BAT action just for 338LM the answer is no as BAT makes actions for quite a few cartridges. Don't know if that answers your question or not...if not then maybe you can elaborate a little more.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.